In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Worth of bull barrell Winchester Model 70 in .308

agm114magm114m Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hello all. I have a Model 70 in .308 Winchester that I purchased back in the late 80's and now would like to sell but I have no idea what the rifle is worth as I didn't really know much about it back when I bought it at a gun show. The serial number on the receiver places the manufacture date between 1973 and 1974. The barrel is a heavy contour target barrel whose manufacturer remains a mystery despite removing the stock from the barrelled action for inspection. The stock looks like a Winchester National Match stock. Since owning the rifle, I've put about around 150 rounds through it. I'm attaching a link to some pictures of the rifle. http://imgur.com/a/6Y4VG

Any thoughts?

Respectfully,

-AGM

Comments

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    being a nice looking rifle you should be at about 7 to 800 at least.
    only way to tell is list it on auction side an let it roll.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How good does it shoot? If its sub MOA you might get more. Looks too heavy to hunt with, so it needs to be good at paper punching IMHO.

Added Sub half minute rifles should sell easily. Be sure and have a pic of the target with all the relevant facts in your ad.
  • agm114magm114m Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been able to get right around .5 MOA shooting off sandbags. I think with some proper handloads, it could do better.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agm114m,

As I have stated before, I am not a collector nor am I interested in collecting but there is always another reason to discuss firearms.

Here is a photograph of the original Winchester Model 70 National Match rifle:

Winchester_Model_70_30-06_National_Match_rifle_stock2_posting.jpg

Here is the stock only in every conceivable position to judge the pattern:

Winchester_National_Match_rifle_stock_posting.jpg

The original was chambered for the .30-06 Springfield while the latter dated model was .308 Win. as your is. However the barrel is apparently an aftermarket since there are no markings to stipulate that it is a factory original barrel. These were basically fielded High Power Rifle competitions. Other forms of competition could be referred to as 'Across the Course'.

You need to have an expert determine exactly what this rifle is before you just post it on the auctions side to let the public decide. Check with our distinguished moderator Bert H. to lend a hand with whom you might discuss this.

Best.