In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brand of 1911, cont'd.

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
quote:Dr.Nipps
I'm thinking of getting a .45 APC 1911. Which brand would be the best and the worsts? If possible list 1911 brands from worst to best. Thanks

Edit: Something I could keep in door of my truck for defense
I assume you mean "45 ACP" (ie "automatic colt pistol), right?

There are so many makes and models of 1911s out there right now, with different features that your head will spin. There is no such thing as the "best", only one that you like the best. In general you get what you pay for with these. More cost gives you better features, like finish, grips, brand value, accuracy potential, etc.

Personally, a 1911 wouldn't be my first choice for a "truck" pistol, but accepting for purposes of this question, that it really is a 1911 you want for your truck, let's agree on the following:

If you're really using this to protect yourself in your truck, then accuracy really isn't all that important (ie you'd be effectively shooting it at point blank range). So you don't need match accuracy. All you need in terms of function is reliability.

Combat sights could be nice. Match trigger. . .don't need it. Ambidextrous? You can probably skip that. Cosmetics aren't important. You might want something with a durable finish, if its going to bang around with low maintenance, especially if humid so I'd lean towards stainless steel (but other corrosion/wear resistant finishes could be OK too).

Other than that, I'd say pretty much **ANY** 1911 will fit this bill. And since this is subject to abuse and/or loss, cheaper is probably better.

In terms of brands, its pretty hard to go wrong with any 1911 made by Para-Ordnance, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, Springfield. Colt and Sigs are good, but probably exceed your budget. Don't have any experience with Ruger, but I'd imagine these are OK. . .its Ruger. Taurus. . .probably OK, but I wouldn't unless the price was good and there was a reasonable return option if the gun wasn't OK.

There are others, but I don't see any need for a "boutique" gun for what amounts to a car/truck "beater".

Honest, if I were you, I'd just get a ($500 or so) Rock Island and be done with it. The gun won't win any beauty contests, and you won't get match quality out of the box, but these are solid, and probably about perfect for what you need.

Again, main thing is just to make sure the gun runs right, so whatever you end up getting, make sure you test it out thoroughly with your chosen type of ammo. While pretty much all 1911s run ordinary "ball" ammo 100%, some of them don't like hollowpoint or other non-ball type ammo and can malfunction.

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything you say is correct, and I would only add that a stainless version would be best for a truck gun. Leaving in in the truck door as was originally noted, leaves the possibility of water and a stainless 1911 will handle it better than a blued, nickel or parkerized one.

That may leave RIA out of the picture, as I don't see where they make a stainless 1911.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'll be damned if I would leave one in the truck door [xx(]
    A friend left a custom 1911 under his truck seat and a dude stole it [B)] I always carry on me so things don't happen like that [^]