In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO 1891

Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Howdy folks would like to get some info on the ARGENTINO 1891, basically year an caliber,value won't hurt.. i've done some search but still not satisfied reading some input the caliber is sketchy wondering if the year made makes a difference, the s/n on this one C 058X ..totally maching all parts.. the barrel is 29" long...
looking in the barrel after pulling the bolt its greasy w/ cosmo the rifle appears unmolested in an out...
any an all info would be apreciated
Thanks
RichG,...

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That rifle should be in 7.65 x 53 Argentine chambering.
    It should have a .313" bore {larger than the more norm .308"of later rifles}
    Note the use of the word SHOULD above.
    Many have been rechambered, but not rebarreled, to a more common later
    .308" shell.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were imported in quantity in the 1950's, and sold as surplus from Argentina. They were so inexpensive, most were sporterized and converted to deer rifles.

Not common to find one with the factory original 29" barrel, at this late date. Unfortunately if the Argentine national crest, has been ground off the receiver. They have relatively little collector value.

Ran into one in primo factory original condition, at a show last year. Of course the crest had been ground off. Best original one I had seen in years. Even so, considering the condition. I felt it was well worth it's $300, asking price. If the crest wasn't ground, probably worth couple of thousand to a Mauser collector. Considering it's factory original condition.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in 1892.
    You'll find some of the Large ring 98 Model 1909 Argentines re-chambered in 30/06, but not the Model 1891.
    As babun said, many of the 1891's were re-chambered for .308 Winchester because of the lack of ammo (and common sense) when they were first imported.
    The .308W has an operating pressure that exceeds the limits of the 1891 action, and should never be used in it. If your chamber cast reveals it was re-chambered, you can use cast .30cal bullets, and .300 Savage reloading data for a safe load. Accuracy pushing a .308 bullet down a .311 bore can range from 2-3" groups at 100yrds, to "maybe" hitting the paper.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Figure out if it is still in the original caliber first. If you have a 30-06 shell handy, see if it will chamber, as many were rechambered to that. If still in 7.65X53, which is a fabulous round by the way, Hornady, PRVI, Sellier and Bellot, and a number of others make ammo for it. Handloading is easy; while nominally a .313" bore, the Hornady .312 150 and 174 gr bullets both work great. If you cast your own bullets, assuming the bore is at spec, the Lyman 314299 does very well; otherwise NOE makes a mold of similar shape and profile but a little fatter.

I have 2 long rifles and a carbine. Great guns.
  • Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you all for the response s.... i did not have an 06' but i did drop a .270 in the chamber ... didn't close would guess its 7.65
    RichG,...
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr Gee
    thank you all for the response s.... i did not have an 06' but i did drop a .270 in the chamber ... didn't close would guess its 7.65
    RichG,...

Some of the early production Mauser Rifles, prior to the G 98. Used a push feed bolt mechanism rather than a controlled feed. The extractor doesn't engage the rim, until the cartridge is chambered.

Chamber cast might be in order. On a rifle thats 122 years old, and has a unknown history. Since it was imported as surplus in the 50's.
  • Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there aren't any import marks anywhere that i've found..
    thanks
    RichG,...
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note; the 1891's were never rechambered for .30/06 (the 1909's are a different story). the magazine is way to short and can not be lenghtned.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Argentine with the prefix "C" is early manufacture. It should have the shorter handguard, no locking cam screw in front of magazine and the bolt sleeve will be a straight cylinder. Later production had the handguard longer, a locking cam screw in front of magazine and "flared" sides on bolt sleeve. Being an early model and all original with matching serial #'s on stock, rcvr., bolt, and bottom of magazine & perhaps the cleaning rod too? Even with the crest scrubbed it's a collectible because so many were "Sporterized." It's the first truly modern smokeless powder Rifle, push feed and was ahead of it's contemporaries when first produced. I own both Sporters and Originals. I use Norma brass and reformed cases too from .30-'06 I've taken many whitetails with my 1891 Sporter with the "G" prefix. I find the caliber and weapon to be fascinating.
    Enjoy,
    ENBLOC