In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New information on the 1886 Rifle ADDED

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
The serial number is 83399.

Condition is excellent, never refinished, no bunged up screws, no busted wood, round barrel from what I could see from crappy cell phone pictures. Owner claims it has no damage at all no screws replaced or alterations made to it

The pawn shop will not allow the piece to be inspected until the cash is on the counter. [:(]

Is my $1,200 a safe bet if I list it Saturday and run a long auction with front page exposure?

I REALLY appreciate your advice, my intent is purely to help the kid out AND possibly make a few bucks too boot.

The owner pawned it for 800 last Christmas for his kids presents; he said the counter guy said it" books at $3,500 so getting 800 for it is not an issue". Interest has it up to $1,165 and change to get out of Pawn.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my doubts. I'm surprised it wasn't carried by a member of the Wild Bunch too. I'd put the money on the table and inspect the rifle. I might just pick my money back up too when done. Seems really cheap for good+ 86 to me. Buy the rifle not the story is good advice.

added So is this a rifle that was pawned and it would take $1200 to get it out? How much interest is in the 1200? If they loaned 900 on it would likely be a steal at 1200.

a2 Good guess on my part, I'd go look at it. 25% of the value seems about right on a loan to me.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

The pawn shop will not allow the piece to be inspected until the cash is on the counter. [:(]

This is a indication of a scam to me. Wouldn't get involved. You're quite likely, to wind up holding the bag on this one. IMHO.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of that,,on the counter is ok,,as long as you can pick it up if you don't like it,,,,price is low for that condition,,,so you know the old story
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd walk in with the cash but demand to inspect on the spot, if you are just buying a pawn ticket...........run
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd walk in with cash in hand and your buddy with the pawn ticket.
    Show him the dough and tell him to show you the gun.
    You wouldn't need to handle it if it's a decent '86. Just about any decent '86 in original condition is worth well over 2 grand.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this pawn shop knows anything about guns and loaned $800 on it you will make money.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're standing there with cash and they won't let you look at the gun , something is fishy.