In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

condition question .

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
When it comes to older common handguns that are in unfired,complete boxed condition , should there be a big price gap between them and fired, used in the box excellent condition guns? Example: 1990 4506 unfired and perfect vs. Same gun with light use in the box.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Price is determined by the buyer if a 100% item goes for $1000 and a 95% item goes wanting a buyer at $ 800.00 then yes there is a big value difference. But if a 100% sells for $ 1000.00 and you find a buyer for your 95% at $990.00 then you have determined that condition is not that important. It comes down to it is always a guessing game . I you take a gun to 10 big gun-shows and it does not sell Then list on GunBroker ten time and it still does not sell YOUR ASKING PRICE IS TOO HIGH If it sells in 10 minutes at the first gun-show Then one or two things you have it priced too low or found the one guy that was willing to pay your overpriced item. Value can change HUNDREDS OF TIMES A DAY Only a change of ownership determines the value of that item to the buyer.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if there should be a premium brought by a NIB gun, but there definitely is, especially with Colt's & S&W's.

It's probably due to a combination of factors:

With the popularity of online auctions, there are no secrets; everyone knows the real market value of common guns, & any person who wants to sell a nice gun can easily put it in front of folks all over the country.

Also, collectors now see that many of the older guns don't have internal locks, or MIM parts, or rubber grips. The guns we used to take for granted are now seen as "classics". And, there just aren't a lot of them in new, or almost new, condition.

Neal
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever buy a new car? Drive it around the block and the value plummets. These days the hot buzz words for wheel guns is never turned. Yea well, they are suppose to test fire them in order to proof them.

When I worked at the gunshop, there was guy that would bring in a HiPower about every 10 years for a price check. It was 40 or 50 years old last I saw it. Never racked, always handled with cotton gloves. I told that some day some lucky guy will get to take it shooting - he frowned and said he was a collector, I smiled and said that's ok I'm a shooter.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With or without box might make more difference in this case than unused and lightly used. If it were a 1st Gen Colt SSA then the difference would be significant. All depends upon demand and the buyers desire to not go home without it.