In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington model 788 value, 44 magnum , 1967 mfg

yukon100jackyukon100jack Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Any help would be appreciated.... I just bought a Remington model 788 in 44 magnum. Got it for an awesome price on an auction where a guy listed it as a a Remington 778. Anyway... the serial number is 0256xx which comes back as the first year mfg of 1967. The gun is in very good to excellent condition. Metal and bore are excellent. Wood stock has a few dings but no cracks. Looks to have been hunted some but not fired much. It had an aftermarket recoil pad which I replaced with a buttplate that might be a reproduction. Sights are all there and original. Stock has not been cur and length of pull is 13.5". I just saw similar rifle in much worse condition sell for $1000 (search completed auctions on GunBroker to see it) I don't know the serial number on that one. Can anyone give me an idea what mine is worth? I can send pics to someone who might know. I want to keep it but want to know its current value. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On line auctions, are best indicators of current fair market value. If one in lesser condition sold for $1000. Unless it was a one of a kind anomaly? Your's would likely sell for at least that, maybe more?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did good. 788 are sought by collectors' and shooters. Parts are hard to get if you are a shooter. National prices from the completed auctions are a wonderful indicator of current market value. Sometimes at auctions things go for way more than they are worth and sometimes way less - the average of several similar condition ones is the real market value. Oh and depends if you are a buyer or seller.

I would like to have one as a companion for my 29's rather than the generally POS 94 I have. The cartridge guide has broke, the carrier is broken and the ejector just broke last weekend. I fixed the cartridge guide (you can find them), carriers are unobtainium, and ejectors are available. I made the part to fix the ejector and will make the part to fix the carrier next week. I'll weld up the repairs the following week. The rifle should be fully functional for the first time in its life. Oh and it developed headspace issues (lever sting in your hand) shortly after I got it as a gift. I fixed that too.

Added Yes, one other guys had the Marlin in 44, and the other person had one in 45 Colt and 45-70 when my ejector broke. After shooting I gave them a lesson in reloading with the Lyman 310 tool.

When I was growing dad had a closet full of Winchester's. I liked the 76 in 45-60, and the 95 in 405 but most likely because I didn't get to shoot them all the time. Later the 86 in 33 was fun for a while. I'm really a bolt gun guy at heart.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    You did good. 788 are sought by collectors' and shooters. Parts are hard to get if you are a shooter. National prices from the completed auctions are a wonderful indicator of current market value. Sometimes at auctions things go for way more than they are worth and sometimes way less - the average of several similar condition ones is the real market value. Oh and depends if you are a buyer or seller.

I would like to have one as a companion for my 29's rather than the generally POS 94 I have. The cartridge guide has broke, the carrier is broken and the ejector just broke last weekend. I fixed the cartridge guide (you can find them), carriers are unobtainium, and ejectors are available. I made the part to fix the ejector and will make the part to fix the carrier next week. I'll weld up the repairs the following week. The rifle should be fully functional for the first time in its life. Oh and it developed headspace issues (lever sting in your hand) shortly after I got it as a gift. I fixed that too.

Have you tried the Marlin? I have one and it's been great so far.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The 788-44mag I had would three shots touching at 100yds, back in the '70,s. Sold it and bought a Marlin 1894, 44mag for hogs in Florida.
    If I knew the price would go like it has, it would never have been sold [:(]
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better hurry up and buy the Remington 788 owner's manual he has up for auction described as a Remington 778 owner's manual.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 788 is a good utilitarian firearm and the .44 is the most coveted caliber. A neighbor had one a few years back and loved it. But, he got hard-up and had to sell it. He got eight hundred $ for it locally, with a Bushnell scope mounted and one magazine. I should have bought it. Oh, well; just another missed opportunity in a long string.
  • yukon100jackyukon100jack Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just listed it....