In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Benelli M4 Shotgun Stock

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
The Benelli M4 shotgun stock also fits their MR1 rifle. I just bought their pistol gripped stock and it comes with a metal sling tab posted crosswise through the hollow plastic stock. The tab is held in place with a screw and a plate. I removed the nut, no problem. Now I'm left with an anchoring screw through the plate and no way to unscrew it. The screw isn't slotted, it's not a hex head. How the hell do I get this thing out?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how much clearance, you have around the head of the screw? If it protrudes above the plastic stock? A needle nose vise grip, might be able to get a purchase on it.

If it's flush with the plastic? Drilling a small hole. So you can get a easy out started, might be fisable?
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't look like they made it easy!

https://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/33262-Benelli-M4-Rear-Sling-Plate-Removal

Edit 1;
    A 13mm nut should have a hole diameter of 8mm. You might try picking up an assortment of 13mm nuts with the M8 thread but different pitches. Shouldn't be all that expensive to do.
    Is there room in there to cut a notch in the end of the 'screw' so you can get a flat head screw driver on it?
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Doesn't look like they made it easy!

https://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/33262-Benelli-M4-Rear-Sling-Plate-Removal

Thanks - it isn't. I tried it and all I managed to do was strip the nut that supposedly turns out, or pulls out, the screw from the retaining plate. I evidently didn't heat up the plate enough to loosen the bucket of loctite used to keep everything in place. So my follow up question - anyone know the threading of that 13mm nut so I can try again?

Christ this is a PITA. I'd just as soon keep the regular stock on it.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man that looks like a true PIA. I would consider center punching the shaft and then drilling it for use with an easy out. I would use a rod heated to red and then stuck in the hole to heat the shaft several times prior to the easy out. Maybe some Kroil at the slot opening along with some hair drier heat a day or 2 before to try an get into the sealant before the easy out.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I don't know how much clearance, you have around the head of the screw? If it protrudes above the plastic stock? A needle nose vise grip, might be able to get a purchase on it.

If it's flush with the plastic? Drilling a small hole. So you can get a easy out started, might be fisable?

The screw head is round and sits well into the stock. Already tried turning it - no go.

I've heated the damn thing red hot and tried tapping it out - nothing. The only thing I can figure is that the retaining plate is actually threaded?

Last resort is give it to a machinist friend, see if he can slot it or cut it at the base. If that doesn't work it goes in the trash. Got to be the most asinine set up I've ever dealt with. I'd rather try and reassemble my Winchester 88 blindfolded. [:(!]