In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1905 question

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
Did they ever make a 351?with a octogon barrel. I have never seen one.

Comments

• SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend just picked up a Win 1905 .35 Win caliber with no magazine. There were only about 29,000 manufactured, so this is probably a lost cause, but can anyone give me the name of a company that might have the mags? After market would be better than nothing.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 1905 was made in 32 S.L. and 35 S.L., with a round nickel steel barrel only. The Model 1907 was made in the 351 S.L., round barrel only.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert, that?s what I thought but you never know. What the factory does. I got a call to go look at a couple of guns next week and I was told that it was a 1905 with an octagon barrel. I will let you know when I look at it but I?m sure you are correct.
  • txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 1905 made in 1905. Just to let you know, for some reason when I did a search on that model, if I just searched 1905 winchester, 1905 lever rifles kept popping up.

Why those lever rifles are listed by DOM instead of model number is something I've always wondered about. Bert?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txfeller
    I have a model 1905 made in 1905. Just to let you know, for some reason when I did a search on that model, if I just searched 1905 winchester, 1905 lever rifles kept popping up.

Why those lever rifles are listed by DOM instead of model number is something I've always wondered about. Bert?

If you had searched for it using the correct terminology "Model 1905 Winchester", your search engine/browser more than likely would not have popped up with a 1905 vintage lever-action. Many people list things exactly the same way you conducted your search... without the complete listing of the details.
  • txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Duh. I was just trying to inform the OP that the rifle in question could be a lever gun made in 1905 and not a model 1905 since I've seen so many listed that way. My guess is that a lot of people have have forgotten all about the model 1905 and take it for granted someone would know it's a lever rifle. Forgive me?

quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by txfeller

If you had searched for it using the correct terminology "Model 1905 Winchester", your search engine/browser more than likely would not have popped up with a 1905 vintage lever-action. Many people list things exactly the same way you conducted your search... without the complete listing of the details.
    edited November -1
    I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it is a lever gun made in 1905 I just assumed it was a model 1905. More to follow when I look at it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it is a lever gun made in 1905 I just assumed it was a model 1905. More to follow when I look at it.

You mentioned that it was .351 caliber in your first post... if that is the actual caliber, it is not a lever-action.
    edited November -1
    Exactly now I am second guessing myself and wonder if when he said model 1905 I just automatically said of yea that's a .351. Sometimes I can get ahead of myself. But I will let you know as soon as I see it. [:D]
    edited November -1
    well it was a little of both. a model 1905 in deplorable condition which I will part out and a 1894 octagon barrel.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    well it was a little of both. a model 1905 in deplorable condition which I will part out and a 1894 octagon barrel.

The picture is clearer now![^] Did the Model 1905 come with its original factory magazine ?