In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W M&P DOM?

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a DOM for a Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver. The standard catalog of Smith & Wesson dates it between 1940-1945. Trying to narrow down the year. S/N 83813X.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Victory models, made during W W II. Aren't broken out by year in SCSW. Or any other data source, as far as I know.

Supposedly they topped out at serial number 1 million in 1945. And started production at 700,000 in 1940.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the serial number for the M&P hit 999,999 in mid 1942. Then they went with the V prefix. I own one s/n 926778 that the S&W letter says was delivered in February 1942.

Based upon other pre-Victory models I've seen, my SWAG is that your pistol was probably made in the mid 1941 period. At this time the British were ordering pistols like crazy.

If you pistol has a 5 inch barrel and is chambered for the 38 S&W cartridge, it probably went to Great Britain.

YMMV.