In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unusual Magazine problem with Colt Mustang

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I encountered a problem at the gun range today that I was not able to rectify and since you guys have helped me tremendously in the past I felt I could throw this out there to see if you guys could help.

I have a steel framed Colt Mustang .380. This pistol is accurate and very reliable. I have (2) 6rd magazines for it and I recently purchased an extended mag (7rds) with the little finger extension. The problem I noticed with the extended magazine was that after firing every shot it would cycle another round and then slide out of the mag release. The gun never jammed but I had to push the mag back up into the mag well to lock and fire the next round. Every time I did this I could feel and hear the magazine lock into place as it should but after I fired each round it would drop down. The 6rd mags work flawlessly and after returning home I inserted the extended mag and tried to physically pull it out but the mag button held it firmly in place as it should. I am at a loss as to why this would occur. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The size or location of the notch in the extended magazine could be off a tad. Take magazine apart and make sure it is free of burrs inside. Compare the size shape and location of the notch. Take an index card, place on the flat back at the top of the working mag, wrap it around an cut the notch out on card. Move index card to the non working mag, align the same way and compare. You might also look at the magazine retainer's working surfaces. Compare the thickness of the mags perhaps the non working one is under sized and doesn't engage the retainer fully with recoil slamming it about.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Colt-33188/AutoPistols-35748/Mustang-34905.htm?results=All

added If it feeds well (check by looking at an ejected unfired magazine feed round) then I would open the working side of the notch a little, the other option is taking material of the extension. Its a hands on decision.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the extended finger grip cap, you may have to clean the top off, it's not letting the mag go in far enough to fully catch.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Check the extended finger grip cap, you may have to clean the top off, it's not letting the mag go in far enough to fully catch.
    True.

In fact I'd start by disassembling the magazine, inserting just the tube and conducting a visual check on the mag catch/notch relationship.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38
    I encountered a problem at the gun range today that I was not able to rectify and since you guys have helped me tremendously in the past I felt I could throw this out there to see if you guys could help.

I have a steel framed Colt Mustang .380. This pistol is accurate and very reliable. I have (2) 6rd magazines for it and I recently purchased an extended mag (7rds) with the little finger extension. The problem I noticed with the extended magazine was that after firing every shot it would cycle another round and then slide out of the mag release. The gun never jammed but I had to push the mag back up into the mag well to lock and fire the next round. Every time I did this I could feel and hear the magazine lock into place as it should but after I fired each round it would drop down. The 6rd mags work flawlessly and after returning home I inserted the extended mag and tried to physically pull it out but the mag button held it firmly in place as it should. I am at a loss as to why this would occur. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Most likely its a problem with that particular magazine itself, BUT its also possible that a piece of dirt or grime is present in your gun somewhere preventing full seating of that mag.

The mag itself may be out of spec. As already mentioned, slight issue with location/shape of mag notch can do this.

Note that the external dimensions of magazines can change a bit when mags are loaded (ie they can bulge a bit), and this can explain why you have issues with a loaded mag but not an unloaded one.

There may be a burr on the mag somewhere, including on the little plastic extender base/finger rest. The plastic extender may itself be out of spec.

Close inspection of the magazine, and comparison to the working ones is probably a good place to start.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Load one less round than the mag's stated capacity, and look at the notch.
    Is there a bullet right in line with it?
    My theory is that after the round is fired, and the next round is sliding up the mag; the sliding round pushes the "mag tang" out of engagement with the notch, and drops the mag.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update: I cleaned the pistol thoroughly, took off the grips and played with extended mag and the regular ones. I noticed something that may be revealing. When I inserted the mags very slowly the 6 rd mags would slide in and click positively. The extended mag would slide up and NOT lock unless it was : 1,slapped firmly or 2, pushed up slowly with pressure focused on the front end of the extension (closest to the fingers).