In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8.15x46R

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
What sort of cartridge is this? I can't find it referenced in Wikipedia.

What gun(s) were chambered for it?

Just curious. I saw a reference to it.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32-40 (one of my favorite cartridges) of sorts.

Your shell holder left ALLEN PARK, MI 48101 Sunday morning.

Added: I have a Mexican Small ring Mauser in 45-70. The guy that did the work was good, I forgot to write down his name (RIP). To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, His 405 Winchester (in the 1895 action) was good medicine for Lions when properly loaded. Make sure the rims are in the proper order to feed.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a German cartridge specifically made for target shooting. Mostly custom made single shots. I've seen a number of bolt action reworked Mausers though. I believe because the cartridge is rimmed, most of the Mausers were single shot. To convert them to repeaters, feeding a rimmed cartridge through the magazine. Would require a skilled gunsmith.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mostly seen in elaborate falling block single shot Schuetzen offhand target rifles.

There was also the Serviceman's Rifle on a single shot Mauser stocked up like a Gew 98 or K98 depending on the age.

The round was also used in lightweight falling block or break action hunting rifles and the "Forester's Rifle" which was a single shot bolt action sporter.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There were a number of makers that built rifles chambered in this
    Cartridge. These looked like a Mauser 98 military rifle and used as trainers as sort of a Sneak attempt to get around the WW I TREATY against Germany building military weapons. There was a writeup about these in the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN in the 1960's or 1970's I sold a collection from an estate that included one of these Military 8.15 X46R . I used to be able to recall month and year of all the writeups in the American Rifleman had a copy of that issue When I took her Rifle to the OGC show in Columbus OHIO in the early 1970's I put what I thought was an outrageous price on it but was hoping it would bring some interest. late in the day a man approached my table came over asked if he could look at the rifle picked up the rifle with one hand looked it over and reached for his wallet without ever asking the price counted out twenty $100.00 bills[:0] said his friend had seen rifle and asked me the price early in the day . Told me there were 5 Known makers and he had an example of each of the other 4.
  • ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then as now "military" weapons were more difficult to own in Germany. Having a military Mauser in this caliber allowed ownership with a normal weapons card. Just like in France it is easy to own an M1 Rifle in .270 Winchester or a mini-14 in .222 Remington while in the "military" calibers is a difficult task.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search on Schuetzen rifle. Most often this was a favorite cartridge for off hand
    200 meter competition. No doubt drops like a rock at that distance but once sighted in would not require any windage .
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo of an 8.15x46R.

[img][/img]8x46R%20Lead%20Bullet.jpg

This cartridge was designed between 1890 and 1900 in Germany. Its main use was as a sport shooting cartridge and was one of the most popular for 200 m competition.

The cartridge was a commercial success and several European manufacturers made the cartridge with slight differences until they decided to standardize it. It is also known as the 8.15x46 Jagdgewehr Normal R, 8.15 Frohn, Hirenberg 581 H, DWM 455,8.15 Harstang and others. It was usually used in very well made Shuetzen rifles.

The older cartridges usually used a lead round nosed bullet and the newer cartridges used jacketed soft point bullets.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Schuetzen refers to a type of shooting competition and most often falling block
    Rifles which we label Schuetzen rifle. I beleive you will find many slight variations
    On bullet diameter for this 8.15 caliber perhaps to optimize for a particular rifle bore.
    You may someday come across round wooden targets and if you measure the holes
    Most likely you will find 8mm from this cartridge at work.