In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.308 win grain and style selection?

3404speed3404speed Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hey everyone, so after extended research and on a splurge i got a ruger gunsite scout rifle in .308 win. My question is which grain/bullet style is best for hunting. Just curious im not familiar with the .308 cartridge. This is my first high power rifle just want to know if i need to stock up on one particular grain/bullet style or if its worrh it to have a couple different ones

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot several types to find which your rifle prefers and go on from there.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given sound advice...try several loads.

You did not mention what you are hunting...while 180 grain will work for everything, I have best results for deer and such with the 130 grain Barnes TTSX. I like heavier bullets for larger game like Elk, and Moose. With the Barnes bullet, you can use a lighter bullet, than a conventional lead core bullet. You get faster velocity, flatter trajectory for most sane distances, and less recoil too.

Barnes has their own ammunition line called Vortex. Remington also uses them in their HOG HAMMER line.

Best
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to shoot only one load in a rifle after I figure out what it shoots best. I find it much easier to only learn one trajectory. Consider reloading for it, in over a 100 different rifles only one shot factory ammo better than mine. I gave that rifle away.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    A fairly economical load, and perfectly adequate for deer / hog / woodchuck hunting, is something in a 150 grain lead core load. Remington, Winchester, and Federal all make these basic loadings that can be had for about $1 a cartridge.

Rarely would you actually need anything else. Buy a box of each, see which one shoots best, and stick with it. If you decide to go Elk hunting, then buy a couple boxes of 180 grain premium loads and go to it.

Avoid the premium stuff for average use. It is not necessary.

Start reloading!!!!!!!!!