In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serial #s

mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have received Cody letters on some of our rifles. None say much except when the rifles went from one factory location to another. Is there any other source that might contain more information?
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are all firearms required to have serial#s? If not always required when did it become mandatory?
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike,

It would be very helpful if you told us what make of rifle and the Model of the rifle.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOPS!
    Winchester Model 1894 ser# 1067919 applied 7/24/1930
    Win. Model 1903 ser# 55748 applied 4/22/1909
    Win. Model 1890 ser# 404261 applied 2/11/1909
    On the WRF I was hoping for the path from the factory to who ever Gramps bought the rifle from. It is being handed down to generation 5.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

It is very rare for the original Winchester records to specify where, or to whom, a specific firearm was shipped or sold to. There are no other sources of information.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most likely 99% of all early firearms were shipped to STOCKING dealers
    not to a specific person. Sort of like today's grocery stores and food .
    They don't keep records of who buys each can of food. . Of course there are exceptions. a ranch or mining company may order direct from factory
    a number of guns at the same time. There are also exceptions with company records . Griffen & Howell has a Great research DEPT with make and serial Numbers from three different companies. going back nearly 100 years . I purchased a Great little combo Gun made in Germany in the 1920's 25/20 and 410 2&1/2 INCH . My gun was listed by make and serial number in these records.
    I paid for the records. AS THEY INCLUDED COST AS WELL AS SELLING PRICE . DAY IT WAS PURCHASED AND COMPLETE Bio of the person. I then had Direct chain of ownership from maker to me and when I sold it got a VERY GOOD price[^][:p][:p][:D]