In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

458 Lott brass

cwhuntsalotcwhuntsalot Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to load some 458 Lott brass to fire form for my 450 Ackley. I have new Hornady brass full length sized. I ran them all through the expander die that came in the RCBS set. It did not seem to do anything. I used a Hornady 458 Win expander die to get enough bell that the bullet would sit in the mouth. When I try to seat the bullets the cases collapse. Some just a little wrinkle, some have to be thrown away and some seat perfectly. I've made sure the seater is not crimping the cases, I've tried three different bullets, seating in steps, and rotating the cases in steps. I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking maybe the brass is too soft. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks cwhuntsalot

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you champhered the inside of the case mouth?

added I gave these away with the presses and dies. It will work, however I like the bigger sized ones for my large hands. The ones that have a stud in the outside champhering end will save some pain on the case holding hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP90109-Precision-Chamfer-Tool/dp/B0014136PA
  • Options
    cwhuntsalotcwhuntsalot Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not chamfer the case mouth. Since the mouths were expanded I thought it to be un-necessary
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possible to fire form, just using fast burning pistol or shotgun powder without a bullet.

At first it will be a trial and error process, to determine the correct amount of powder required. Load the powder in the case. Fill the case with cream of wheat or corn meal. Heavily compress a wad of TP over the filler. Use a glue gun to seal the wad in the case. Fire it in a safe direction, with caution. As the TP glued wad, would be deadly at close range.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try seating a bullet nose first and check for excessive tightness and bulging of the case. If so, the case has been sized down too much, or the brass is too thick. Fire-forming, as mentioned, may work to expand the case. Or, you may have to ream the neck area. Two to four thousands can make a big difference.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cwhuntsalot
    I am trying to load some 458 Lott brass to fire form for my 450 Ackley. I have new Hornady brass full length sized. I ran them all through the expander die that came in the RCBS set. It did not seem to do anything. I used a Hornady 458 Win expander die to get enough bell that the bullet would sit in the mouth. When I try to seat the bullets the cases collapse. Some just a little wrinkle, some have to be thrown away and some seat perfectly. I've made sure the seater is not crimping the cases, I've tried three different bullets, seating in steps, and rotating the cases in steps. I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking maybe the brass is too soft. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks cwhuntsalot

Are you trying to seat jacketed or lead bullets? I'd suggest trying hard cast lead with some kind of lube or dry lube - Bear Creek maybe. You should be able to load tem to enough FPS that the case will expand, but no leading.