In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any old Winchester fans here? ADDED

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444495208

Please add any information you can to improve the listing. I know very little about old Winchesters. I have the auction set to start tomorrow so I can make corrections to errors you may find.

Thanks for your help!

Bert and everyone, I did not know the barrel had been cut, the books list a carbine with 20" barrel, that is what I thought it was. The Pawn shop would not let me handle the gun until the amount owed was paid in cash. The previous owner said it was "unaltered"; obviously he was FOS.

Maybe this experience will reinforce my past decision to avoid collectable guns like Ebola.

Even when looking at a valuable gun I simply do not know what the heck I am doing. My past policy has been every gun I own is a shooter, it will be shot, if it ain't a shooter, I don't want it.

Live and learn.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be nice to see 40-65 in the description instead waiting to pic 25 to barely be able to read it.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Both the barrel and the magazine have been cut down from their original length. The front sight is too close to the muzzle and the magazine end should be rounded not flat. If the barrel were an original carbine barrel the rear sight dovetail would be cut closer to the receiver face. That is the magazine end cap from a full length mag which was re-used after the hack saw.

Good luck with the auction.
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Be nice to see 40-65 in the description instead waiting to pic 25 to barely be able to read it.

It is in the listing title but I will add it to the description as you suggest.
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a model 71?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce,

You did not mention in your original post that the barrel was only 20-inches long. If you had, I would not have advised you to purchase it. As Michael mentioned, the barrel and the magazine tube have been cut down. Additionally, the condition of the rest of the rifle is not nearly as good as you led us to believe. If you can get you money back out of it, consider it a good day.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking your very optimistic in your starting price.
    I just sold an 86 rifle in 40-82, it had been re blued and re finished in the 50s, bore was mint. The rifle, like yours was not factory original, but was in beautiful condition. I sold it at a Winchester collectors show in Portland Oregon for $1,200. Bert H saw the rifle, and considered it a fair price.
    W.D.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost wrote:
    quote:The Pawn shop would not let me handle the gun until the amount owed was paid in cash.
    Let me understand this clearly. You had to "pay/purchase" the gun before you could handle it????????? Red flags and sirens should have been going off at that time. Collectible or a shooter, it does not matter. That is just a bad decision.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
    edited November -1
    What "books" list the Model 1886 Carbine with a 20-inch barrel? The correct Carbine barrel length for the Model 1886 has always been 22-inches.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    What "books" list the Model 1886 Carbine with a 20-inch barrel? The correct Carbine barrel length for the Model 1886 has always been 22-inches.

I did not know that.

From an appraisal site. http://homestead-service.com/appraisals/winchester/1886/

The barrel is LESS THAN 22" (from 14" to 20"), the front sight is 3/4" from the barrel tip, the frame is solid, the stock is straight with no checkering, you have a saddle ring, and a band holds on the forearm -- You have the Carbine Trapper Version.

I think you can understand how I got that idea.
    edited November -1
    My suggestion to you, is to not use that website. You can almost always get an informed answer to any pre-1964 Winchester question by simply posting a question here on GunBroker.