In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Barrel ?

dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
This is what I know the barrel has these stampings on it 7791193 and under it 89. From what I found I think this is a crome lined GI match barrel produced in 1989. Is this right? The other question is I had this barrel fail while firing and jammed the gun. I was able to clear the jam and stripped the gun to find the ear(for lack of a better word) where the link pin goes through had broken off the barrel. Anyone know what might cause this to happen and if it is worth tracking down the same barrel?
Thanks

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have a 1911 barrel #7791183 on hood, MI on left lug, and S&W on the right one. Just wondering what years is it for and what it is worth [?]

EDIT, put the right number in [^]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 1970s Gil Hebard was selling S&W made replacement 1911 barrels for $6.00. They are probably worth more now.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The #7790083 is the military Contract DRAWING number I will look when I get home to see if I can find that number I have all the different drawing # for National Match Barrels in my febal brain but dont remember that number I suspect it is just a Replacement barrel
    and value somewhere + or - of $75.00. I will try to edit this post later tonight ." PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN "

EDIT This is NOT a national match barrel looking at drawing numbers and thinking that numbers lower than yours were 1955 and later ? on how much later and numbers larger than your S&W barrel started in 1959 I surmise that most likely made 1956-1958 Price as before. if new $75.00 + or -
    edited November -1
    Thanks' Karl [^]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a new one a couple of years ago for $50, without the link. I believe that yours is parkerized?

Neal
    edited November -1
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    as far as I know none of the replacement barrels with a Drawing number stamped on the barrel were parkerized only WWII replacement barrels may or may not be. Never say never BUT for the most part National Match barrels had a drawing number that started with two letters "NM" then numbers the replacement barrels were made just slightly over size in some areas that would fit in the same area of worn slides or frames to keep pistol in service as long as possible. Just think the last 1911A1 was made during WW II

"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"