In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre-64 Model 70 Bolt Handles

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Were any Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight rifles manufactured without the drilled out bolt handle? I've lately seen pictures of several that have the solid bolt. Again, these were on-line pictures, so I wasn't able to physically inspect the rifle to see if the number on the bolt matched the rifle's serial number. I thought the drilled bolt was a weight-saving measure developed for the Featherweights that was then adopted on all models to standardize manufacturing practices. I would look up the answer in my copy of the Rifleman's Rifle, but I loaned it to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    bigboreisbestbigboreisbest Member Posts: 7
    edited November -1
    Page 140 of the "Rule" book states that in mid 1952 the blot knob was drilled out as a feature of the new Featherweight rifles and was soon adopted for all model 70's. This was one of the slower modifications to be implemented and actually did not occur on many early Featherwieghts.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 47, 49, 50, & 53 are solid. My 56, 59, & 60 are hollow. None are featherweights.