In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

KIMBER Super Carry Ultra (Please assist)

good-tomgood-tom Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Early tomorrow morning I have the opportunity to purchase a new (one shot fired) Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45, for $1150. Is this a good/fair price? It has a three-inch barrel. Comes with one magazine (6+1=7 rounds). Serial number is KU232212. Any idea of age? I welcome all comments!
FYI, due to growing computer problems I'm unable to register to buy/sell in GunBroker.com. My son often makes purchases on your site.
Thanks to all. You may want to e-mail directly at tomnjudy@cableone.net.
Tom,
US Marine (Ret)
Space & Defense (Ret)

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stay away from it. Short 1911's are prone to have problems. Kimber was one of the first to highlight that.

Best

EDIT 1

I was kind of short on time last night, but to add to the Kimber Saga...

Kimber had problems with all of their aluminum framed sizes at first, from the 3" to the 5" Govt, with reliability. I know a guy who had all three...3", 4.25", and the 5"...he sold them all.

I am not saying that all 3" 1911's, are not bullet proof reliable, but if you want one that is, just that, be prepared to pay for the likes of a NightHawk, or Wilson. No, I am not being a 1911 snob, just telling the truth from experience.

Best
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that kind of money. I would want to extensively shoot it.( At least 100 rounds). Using the specific ammo you mean to use in it. That is if you're buying it, for a EDC personal protection handgun.

If it just going to be a safe queen? Don't sweat it. Pistols like the Kimber, always seem to go up in value. Likely hold on to it for awhile, and you'll make money off of it.

EDIT #1,

Good point made by the previous poster. If you're buying it for a EDC? Do a GOOGLE search on it. I'm sure you will pull up a lot of information on it, from the various Gun forums. Both good and bad. Kimbers are very popular guns. You doing enough reading and researching on-line. it will help you getting the straight skinny on it.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    I have that exact gun. I paid $1500 for mine new. It has been very accurate and has performed flawlessly from the start. I love my Kimber.
    Good luck to you.

This model; Super Carry Ultra,has the internal extractor.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything shorter than a 4.25" Commander size 1911 takes a sharp drop in reliability.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The shorter and lighter a pistol is the more felt recoil it has and the more need for a FIRMgrip to get it to function. Many people because of the recoil think if they hold it loosely it will not hurt as much so then it hurts worst and does not function. If this kimber is one with external EXTRACTOR stay away they all had function and KABOOM problems I think kimber called them KIMBER II models
    That was during the time frame KIMBER was buying parts like barrels ETC from ASIA [V][:(]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Early tomorrow morning I have the opportunity to purchase a new (one shot fired) Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45, for $1150. Is this a good/fair price? It has a three-inch barrel. Comes with one magazine (6+1=7 rounds). Serial number is KU232212. Any idea of age? I welcome all comments!

As basis for comparison, these run about $1300 new in box, plus or minus a little bit.

I'd say its definitely a "fair" price for a gun that (allegedly) only has one shot fired through it. Not a "great" price that would personally compel me to buy it even if I otherwise weren't interested, but certainly a reasonable price if you otherwise wanted to buy that gun.

I actually find it hard to believe that the gun only has one shot fired. . .what's the story here? The recoil was so excessive that whomever shot it was afraid to pull the trigger a second time? [;)] Did the gun malfunction?

Regardless, whether its one shot fired or two boxes, that doesn't really "matter", if its a gun you're actually going to carry or shoot. So long as you can't see any external wear its basically a 99%+ gun. This sort of thing matters more if you intend NEVER to shoot the gun and keep it as a collectors's piece/investment new in box.

On the gun itself, I don't think many say bad things about Kimbers. The gun itself should be fundamentally sound. . .at least as sound as something like a sub-compact .45 1911 can be.

Some people do love these, but personally speaking, tiny 1911s aren't my cup of tea.

Possible reduced reliability has already been mentioned. 25 ounces isn't "pocket carry". This is personal preference, but if I'm going to be carrying an auto of that weight, I think I'd rather have something with higher capacity.

I also don't see much advantage to 3" bbl 1911s over slightly 4" ones. . .the barrel tucks into your waistband, so concealment isn't really all that much better.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I agree with Joe on this. I bought mine when they were about $1,100. Mine never failed to feed anything that went in it [^]