In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Trooper MK III nickel problem

john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Several years ago I bought one of these. After a few months the nickle around the muzzle started flaking. The dealer sent it back to Colt and after two or three months the cun was returned to me in perfect shape.

My question is, on these re-nickeling jobs, would they have just renickeled the faulty places or the entire gun? Also, would the original nickel have to be remoc=ved before re-nickeling? Just wondering if I have double nickel finish now?

Comments

• Options
    crazydudecrazydude Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The company I work for builds custom equipment and both copper/nickel and electroless nickle plating are a common coating.
    When we need to fix a mistake, the old nickle is stripped off, then reapplied. I would imagine that the same is true for handguns.
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you're probably right. I bet they removed the barrel, stripped that, renickled and installed it back on the gun. they did a fine job and no more troubles with it.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Obviously after the fact..but Ford's Gunsmithing (out of Florida) has re-nickeled several firearms for me. A+++ results.

To put a finger on their work quality, perhaps one might consider the re-finishing of a paint job on a car. The clear-coating of the automobile with several layers is the best analogy, I guess.

Deep nickeling. Bounce off your face finish.

Now, I have my Father's .44 S&W Triple Lock to consider. Should I send it off to them, or retain the pistol as my Dad had when it was in his hands?

...Dunno. But the good folks at Ford's have given me no pause. Best, Joe
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +100 on Fords, they're expensive but worth it, as hard as you try you will not find anything to complain about such as removed lettering, trademarks or plating quality, I've failed to find any flaws ever.........the best in the business [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee