In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

White Outline Rear Sights

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger rear sight blade with impressions for white coloring, but the blade is black. Tried auto touch-up paint but despite cleaning with acetone, it wouldn't stick. Thinking about either white epoxy (hard to find locally) or maybe white porceline touch up.
Any experiences or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob[:D]

Comments

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modeling paints and nail polish...

May require touch up occasionally but workable and cheap

Mike
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you rough up the surface a little, use like a hat pin to scratch up the grove. +1 Nail polish is cheap and works for while. The porcelain touch up might be a good choice too.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And please consider that you may want your modification to be somewhat easily reversible - that if and when the time comes to sell your gun being able to return it to stock factory configuration may provide for an easier sale

Like custom cars you will modify to your tastes and needs but not everyone will agree with your vision

Model paint and nail polish being removable will allow you to experiment with different colors and reflective albedo to find the optimal coating for your needs across various light levels

(Edit: thanks for the albedo response - I thought it fit better than refractive index - and you guys are pretty well educated and well read - I picked it up from Robert Anson Heinlein as a young sci fi junkie and I often simply assume you guys know what I mean)

Brownells has pricier products I believe

Mike
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forget the "proper" name. It's a felt tip pen in a metal tube that has shakers in the pen. I think it came in white.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies. No problem with altering the original, as I already removed, and saved, the original (Uberti) blade and replaced it with a Ruger unit that has the outline impression.
    p.s.
    mrmike, I'm 70. Haven't even heard the concept of albedo mentionned since it was the topic of my 8th grade science project!! Thanks for the memory. (Fun time with a desk lamp, a variety of reflecting surfaces, and my Ol'Man's photographic light meter.)
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I commonly use nail polishes and they work fine.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used white out for years. Easily removed with nail polish if you want it removed.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want paint to stick, try primer.

tape it off, spray with auto primer from AutoZone. or spray some on a cardboard and brush it on with a model paint brush.