In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber of Oregon Ejection

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
Have a KoO Cascade Hornet. Extraction is fine, but ejection has become a sometime thing; often leaving the brass sitting in the action.
Extractors seem to be fine with the left holding the shell head more firmly than the right. Wondering if maybe left and right got swapped?

Comments

• Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber of Oregon 22H rifles used their Model 82 22 LR actions and the action really wasn't made for the pressures generated by the 22H and they were plagued with sticky cases and ejection problems. Even the Ruger 77/22Hornet rifles had the same problem and you could call Ruger and send the rifle to them to get fixed but I never trusted it after that so I went with an older CZ527 in 22H - no problems with that CZ527 22 Hornet.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you tried pulling the bolt and cleaning the bolt and receiver ?
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bolt and receiver cleaned and lightly lubed. Think I'm closer to the problem but no closer to the solution.
    Brass ejects fine, so long as there's another round beneath. On the last shot the case drops down onto the mag follower before it gets a chance to meet the ejector.
    Wondering if a modified/different follower or some way to have the extractors grip the case a bit harder might hold a solution.
    If it weren't for the extreme accuracy and beauty of the stock I'd just sell it and stick with my .222 but I can't see letting this one go. ;-( Maybe it's just my "last round" indicator??? ;-)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try different makes of brass. Perhaps older brass was a little thicker or had a slightly larger/thicker rim. I have modified cases in the past such as adding a rim to a 30-06 and blowing it out to a straight tapered black powder cartridge.

Try some new extractors, maybe yours are out of spec/worn. If you can't find them maybe you could make them.

Work the bolt faster on that last round.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like your extractor springs may need replacement.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Appreciating the feedbacks. Have tried fast bolt working, makes no difference. Will check on the springs. Also recall, and I'm going back 30 plus years here, that when I bought the rifle I had a choice of 1 of 2 magazines. The one I chose, (just liked the looks of it better) had a cast alloy follower.) The other had a more typical stamped steel follower that may (?) have been flat on top. Wondering if one style or the other might be more prone to this problem. If any Kimber owners have the second type of mag, I'd love to swap pictures and hear your experiences.
    Thanks again,
    Rob