In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What pistol caliber most produced?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am have a debate with a friend on what caliber has had more pistols produced in it. He thinks 9MM, I voted for the 32 ACP. Who is right? Or are we both wrong.

Comments

• jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote for 22LR.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what do you mean by caliber?
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all of the plinking and training going on, it's gotta be .22 LR.
    [:D]
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22 sure is a popular caliber, but I have doubts about it being the most produced. I'd bet that Colt has produced more 45's than all the 22's put together.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    22 sure is a popular caliber, but I have doubts about it being the most produced. I'd bet that Colt has produced more 45's than all the 22's put together.

More 22 lr ammo has been produced than any other round. What percentage is shot in handguns is anyones guess.
    All handgun makers have made a lot more .22s than any other caliber.
    World wide a lot more 9mm have been made then .45s.
    I like .45s, but your statement is wrong.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 LR is far and away the most popular in terms of ammo produced.

I'd be surprised if it also wasn't the most popular in terms of GUNS produced too.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    45ACP "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question was "what pistol caliber".

Due to the world-wide use of the 9mm, I would guess that it is the most commonly produced. That said, the .45 ACP has to be a very close second.

In regards to the 32 ACP, there are at least several other pistol cartridges that are more common (9mm, .45 ACP, 38 Spl. .357 Magnum, 380, etc.)

The 22 LR was not designed as a "pistol" cartridge... instead, it introduced as a rifle cartridge, and in later years (much later), it was adapted to function in a handgun. The 9mm, .45 ACP, 38 Spl. .357 Magnum, and 380, are undoubtedly more common that the 22 LR in all of the many handguns produced worldwide.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    The question was "what pistol caliber".

Due to the world-wide use of the 9mm, I would guess that it is the most commonly produced. That said, the .45 ACP has to be a very close second.

In regards to the 32 ACP, there are at least several other pistol cartridges that are more common (9mm, .45 ACP, 38 Spl. .357 Magnum, 380, etc.)

The 22 LR was not designed as a "pistol" cartridge... instead, it introduced as a rifle cartridge, and in later years (much later), it was adapted to function in a handgun. The 9mm, .45 ACP, 38 Spl. .357 Magnum, and 380, are undoubtedly more common that the 22 LR in all of the many handguns produced worldwide.

It's a very close call, everyone makes a .22 pistol or revolver.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    you'll never see a resolution to this. too many variables.
  • CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 i think the first revolver with a bored out cylinder was a Smith .22