In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Definition of "straw"

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
If the description of a pistol includes the phrase: "Straw is 95%", what are they talking about? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a type of metal finishing (I THINK a hardening process) which leaves the part a straw color. So, "Straw is 95%" means that 95% of the straw color remains on that part.

Johnny
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or it could be the thing in the rampant Colt mouth.

edit Yep it's a spear. However I have heard referance to "he still has the straw in his mouth" when considering if the old Colt was reblued in the distant past and not buffed out. And I never new that corrosion paper was straw too. I agree that usually the straw referance is to part of the finish on toggle tops. Oh and nice chart. thanks

'the thing' is a SPEAR.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most commonly used as far as collectors are concerned describing certain parts on Luger pistols made between 1900 and the late 30's. The various parts after manufacture are polished to a bright finish. As they are heated to harden the metal surface, color changes occur as the part cools. When the part reaches a yellow "straw" color as it's cools it is deemed the correct temper, and it's quenched in liquid which causes the "straw" color to remain.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first and lowest of the tempering colors.
    It's very fragile so presence and condition of these colors is a statement on little finish wear.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought a picture would help:

metaltemperingcolors.jpg

[img][/img]metaltemperingcolors2.jpg

metaltemperingcolourcha.jpg

Best.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    Colt once used a "straw" in the barrels of their AR-15's, when shipped from the factory, it was an anti-corrosion twisted paper "straw", they discontinued it due to idiots who just loaded the gun and fired one shot......., a KABOOM was the result.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off topic and my apologies to the OP....

USN_Airdale: I work in an Army Small Arms Repair Shop. The new barrels still come in that way.