In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage 110 Old style barrel swap

rigelb79rigelb79 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I picked up an original Savage 110 in 30-06 over the weekend but the chamber is pitted badly. I would like to put a new barrel on it and have done so on the new models no problem. The old models had the sights set up in the classic style dovetailed into the barrel. Also the breech is not square like the new models, more like a Remington 700. Anyone out there have any experience with replacing a barrel on one of these? I would assume some machine work may be needed to set head space and time the sights unless a custom barrel is used without the sights on it. What about a good source for a new barrel? The trigger, wood and action on this gun are good quality (better than the new ones) so I'd like to save it if I can.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had lots of time with a 110E in 30-06 as a kid. It was an ok shooter. Rifle earned my respect by absorbing 2 rounds of a full boat of H4895 instead of H4831, I suspect the cast bullets played some part in the rifle's survival.

Is brass sticking in the chamber now - hard to extract?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've rebarrelled an "old style" 110 using a current model replacement A&B barrel. It's been several years and in this case, I replaced the bolt head, too. This meant I removed the ejector from the raceway and (I think) replaced the mag box. This was an incomplete rifle to begin with so I can't remember what got replaced due to changing the barrel/bolt head and what just was missing.
    Most replacement barrels won't have sights unless you find a used or takeoff. If you've already swapped Savage barrels, you know there may be a small gap between the barrel shank and bolt head as headspace is adjusted by simply screwing the barrel in and locking the nut.
  • rigelb79rigelb79 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charliemeyer007 - The bolt is very hard to open after firing a round and once opened it takes some effort to pull it back to extract the spent casing. I fired 2 rounds and both show the same deformities in exactly the same place. On the neck there are bulges on both sides.

Mobuck - I was wondering if that could not be done. I have some new model barrels and an extra bolt head. I will look to see what my options are.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Never done a Savage , but we always use Douglas barrels. Very accurate and cost is good.