In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62X51 mm IR tracer -Part two

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Since the thread is now locked I will reply to the last post regarding the age or dates that IR tracer ammo was mfg. All but the Green/white tip and purple color coded rds were experimental and not actually fielded for general use.( He also showed the frangible that has nothing to do with the issue at hand). All fielded ammunition is given a DODAC(Department of Defense Ammunition Code). None of the rds shown except the ones mentioned above ever had or were assigned a DODAC. I was an operations officer at the ammo dump at Long Bihn RVN from 1971-1972 and we had no IR tracer ammo in stock in 7.62 Nato( or any other caliber for that matter). I don't doubt that these examples he shows are legit but still they were never actually put into series production. I can think for many small arms rds that were attempted but never fielded, IE "SPIW" several other flessette (spelling?) rds. Rounds containing explosive projectiles, etc.

Comments

• CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ammoguy

You are changing your tune. You said that there was no IR ammunition manufactured before the 1990s and that none of the experimental ammunition dated as far back as the 1960s. But, I showed you a lineup of several iterations that were. Now you are saying that you were only referring to ammunition that had been adopted.

I was not aware that the Green/White XM 276 was ever adopted. Got DODAC?

There are examples of ammo that was never adopted but was issued for use. The XM256 was used in VN but was never given a DODAC. You must be familiar with it? The M198, on the other hand, is a cartridge that was adopted but very little of it was issued. Most ordnance officers are not even aware of it.

The Frangible cartridge is shown because the photo was taken several years ago for a completely different purpose. But, it does have to do with the issue at hand because the OP specifically asked about an ID of cartridges that turned out to be frangibles.