In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Red dot sight recommendation..

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have started shooting in a 22lr bullseye league...and my eyes are getting old...

I have a Buckmark Target pistol with the bull barrel..I have an Ultradot Matchdot II on it and it works fine for me.

I have acquired a S&W Model 41 and want to put a red dot sight on it, but I'm looking for something besides the tube..

Any recommendation...

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Burris red dots, that are OK for short range shooting. But because of my eyesight, at over 50 yards. Are just a ill defined red blob.

Bought a Dagger Defense with red and green multiple reticles. That work much better than either of the Burris's. Much sharper and easier to use & see.

Also the D D's, are 1/3 of the Burris's price. The only drawback is that is twice the size of the Burris's. And need a longer picatinny rail, to mount than the Burris's.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO SIR I have been shooting red dots since they were made
    legal for Bullseye shooting. do your self a favor try different size dots I am 76 years old however due to two eye operations I have 20/15 vision in my right eye how ever I have tremorI found a small dot is like shooting a rifle off hand with 20X scope with a red dot I shoot a 10 minute dot rand have shot up to a 20 minute dot then it looks more like the dot floats remember with that large dot at least 8 minute if you keep the outer all the way around edge of the dot touching any part of the black it will be a 10 I have been shooting matches since 1964 and have had to adjust to old age but try one large dot and give it a FAIR trial. Praise the Hard Ball Gun
    m
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello sir do yourself a favor and try a large dot. I have been shooting NRA bull's eye since 1964 because I took advantage of today's eye surgery I have 20 /15 vision in my right "shooting eye
    but I now also have tremor shooting a small dot for me is like trying to shoot a rifle off hand with a 20 X scope I currently use a 8 minute dot or 10 MINUTE but have used up to a 20 minute dot with good results remember if the outer edge of the dot is touching the black all the way aroundthe shot will be a 10 dont"ry to hold it steady likE Mr.ZINNS
    good luck
    PRAISE THE HARD BALL GUN
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I would take a hard look at the Aimpoint Acro:

https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-p-1/
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the money the Bushnell TRS-25 is a good choice.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "For the money the Bushnell TRS-25 is a good choice."

IMHO
    This is an "entry level" optic that lacks the distinct dot needed for precision shooting. The price is right for a plinker but something like a FastFire 2 or 3 has a much better defined aiming point.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "For the money the Bushnell TRS-25 is a good choice."

IMHO
    This is an "entry level" optic that lacks the distinct dot needed for precision shooting. The price is right for a plinker but something like a FastFire 2 or 3 has a much better defined aiming point.

Another good choice, very similar to the TRS-25 except 2moa dot (vs 3) and a lifetime warranty is the AT3 RD-50 https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-rd-50-micro-red-dot-reflex-sight

Actually have one of each. About to buy a 3rd dot sight, and its gonna be the AT3 unit. Might even go for a fourth eventually.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Burris fast fire. Check out the link below on getting a free fast fire in a package deal..

https://www.burrisoptics.com/promotions