In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Garand 6-digit blue sky

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I would like to find out what I can about the Springfield 30-06 M1 Garand left to me by my father.
It is a blue sky re-arsenal rifle.
SER#941xxx.
There is hardly a mark on the metal or wood.
I assume it was re-finished by blue sky.
It is very accurate.
The bore is shiny with crisp rifling.
There is 43 like new 8rd spring clips, a field kit, and a manual from 1981.
DOM?
Value?
Does having a 6-digit SER# add to its value?
Sorry I am unable to post pics at this time.
Thank you.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The receiver would date to around November, 1942 and Blue Sky was a large importer which brought tens of thousands of M1s in from Korea during the late 1980s. Six digit serial numbers are a bit more sought after but any WWII era receiver is popular, although imports typically have limited collector appeal.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the Blue Sky imports were very worn. The import marking (BLUE SKY ARL VA) was usually stamped on the barrel. That could be what you have, or......it's possible that someone put a Blue Sky barrel on another rifle. There's just no way to be sure, although parkerizing done by the Koreans can be abraded with your finger nail.

I would expect it to sell in the $500-600 range.

Neal
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I asked this question about my 5 digit Garand about then years ago and was advised by NMeyer and MChristian that the serial number had little to do with the value. Has there been a change in the market?

I know the CMP must be running low.
  • tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7-digit Blue Sky Springfields in nice shape are bringing $900 and up on the auction side.

Most Blue Sky imports may have been very worn but not this one.
    $500-600 seems low.
    I know I ask.
    The reason being I had not seen any 6-digit guns sell on the auction side.
    Maybe they have increased in value recently?
    Not looking to sell mine just curious.
  • jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the barrel gauges nicely, and is WW2 with original barrel, $500-600 is a tad low (cosmetics and details make a LOT of difference!), the more so if it has mostly matching parts and lock bar sights, etc., etc.

Arlington Ordnance rifles are addressed specifically in the literature, and as with any other grouping of M1's, ran the gamut in condition and so on.
  • jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Blue Sky" importer markings were HUGE, and partly for that reason, they run toward the low end of imports, albeit they, too, are discussed in the literature.

The six digit number is NOT a huge consideration.

It is most likely refinished, usually to non-GI medium gray phosphate. Original finish was much darker.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    one of the nicest m-1,s i ever had was a blue sky winchester and it was in super nice condition with a ex bore and mostly winchester parts.i believe i paid 400.00 for it. according to T.S uncle albert,one of the i don,t give a crap crowd.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    But be careful with the Blue Sky imports, many were import marked on the side of the muzzle, and were hit hard enough to turn the bore a little oval-shaped at that point.