In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Attaching a flash-hider help?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a few questions about attaching this flash-hider? As you can see pin #1 is shorter then pin #2. Does it make any difference which pin goes in one hole or the other, if so which goes in where? Also they should go in left to right (standing in front of the muzzle) right? Will
the pins be enough to hold the flash-hider on or should it be silver solder or do ya'll recommend another method? Thanks in advance.

flashhider_zpsdd40a466.jpg

Edit 1 its going on a 91/30 mosin nagant

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule of thumb, install right to left. Those pins should be the same length, and when installed, the same width as the FH. Check to see if your sight fits it, and check barrel fit. It has to be snug.
    Once on the barrel, check to see that it's "clocked" to the pin grooves in the barrel. There should be enough interference that the pins secure it tight, you do not want it moving at all.

Edit: D@D, I was guessing this is a replacement on a Enfield Jungle Carbine?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the pins will hold. Low temp silver wouldn't hurt. That would be how I'd set it up for drilling a new install. The pins don't appear tapered so it likely doesn't matter. Looking at the barrel as in shooting position drive in from left to right. If the pins don't fit tight I would center punch/peen/stake them in place.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your going to have to very carefully drill the barrel for the pins. Using the holes in the flash hider as a guide. The pins should be a very tight fit. They hold the FL and barrel together.

Make sure the front and rear sights are in proper register,prior to drilling. Set it up on a drill press preferably. You don't want any thing to move, when your drilling.

I use pins made from cheap Chinese drills that Harbor Freight sells. I cut off the shanks, to make pins out of.

It looks like a simple job. But if you don't have the correct tools and knowledge. You could screw up the barrel big time.

EDIT #1,

GPC has similar aftermarket FH's, on their site.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just checked my Jungle Carbine and it doesn't have those pins. I'm pretty sure it uses a set screw. I have a spare flash hider without the protective ears and it uses a set screw as well.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Just checked my Jungle Carbine and it doesn't have those pins. I'm pretty sure it uses a set screw. I have a spare flash hider without the protective ears and it uses a set screw as well.

This one came from Numrich, it state's it is pre-drilled & has pins. I guess cause it's a reproduction maybe way? Anyway I got them sending the right pins, so I'll hurry up & wait[:p].

Scroll down to the bottom.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/527230.htm#527250