In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W experts on here

az.cerastesaz.cerastes Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Any knowledge on 29-4 3" #BDZ20XX was new in box w/pachmayr grip un-fluted cylinder. Have only seen one other many years ago? was this a special run? value in good condition?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Lew Horton Special Edition. They often offered the 3" barrel. The unfluted cylinder was available in the "Classic" series, IIRC and may have been specified by the retailers of the run. I don't believe S&W ever released a 3" in the M-29 series.
  • az.cerastesaz.cerastes Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, not Lew Horton this I was told was some kind of special run.
    Told once some kind of Gov. contract?
    S&W box, has "3" un-fluted" on box, (not performance shop), thought L.Horton went through performance shop? I think Trail Boss 3" was S&W?(spec. run)
    just trying to see if anyone has any more info..
    Bought it some time in late 80's.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 29-4 with 3" barrel and unfluted cylinder. There were 2532 made in 1989, product code 101251.
    edited November -1
    Yea, thats about when I got it. does it have similar #BDZ? and pach. grip?
    thanks, Laredo
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lew Horton M29 Combat Specials wear a unique round butt frame w/ finger-grooved GA grips. Only built w/ 3" heavy barrel & normal fluted cyl.
    A scant 3000 were produced in mid-late '80s.
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Sounds like a Lew Horton Special Edition.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way would the government order a 3 inch barrel 44 magnum. For God sake, they couldn't even handle a 5 inch barreled 10mm.

Lew Horton had several runs of 29's, 629's, 57's, and 657's done back in the 80's The majority of them wore 3 inch barrels, or shorter. Some had fluted cylinders, some were unfluted. The vast majority were all round butt, and combat finger grooved grips.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by az.cerastes
    Any knowledge on 29-4 3" #BDZ20XX was new in box w/pachmayr grip un-fluted cylinder. Have only seen one other many years ago? was this a special run? value in good condition?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

If you still have the box, what's the product code on the end of the box?? This will solve the mystery...[;)]

edit: I believe that Lefty has it correct. Should have the Pachmayr SKGR grips, .500" target hammer, .400" serrated target trigger, RR front sight, w/o rear sight and weights 43.5 oz. 2532 made in 1989.
    edited November -1
    toad67, Laredo is spot on, same code as mine but has rear adj. site. Haven't had it out it in years but fantastic pistol! and not for sale, just trying to find any more info. about it.
    Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Got E-mail this AM,

From Lew Horton Distributing, this is not one of their gun it was a Smith & Wesson production run(info Laredo had is spot on). Thanks to Earl at Lew Horton for a very fast response! shows that they must have excellent customer service.
    Thanks to everybody for input on my question.
  • th3jesusth3jesus Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    pretty sure it was Made in 89 for "RSR" or Lew Horton, as a special edition. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a special edition of the "S&W BackPacker" But they did make around 2500 of them for the run. That being said since the scarcity of the run they did not bother with try to pass the California drop test so it was never sold in California. The other big thing was they factory installed pachmayr grips on them. My dad has one in the same variation but managed to find one in California from a collector back in the early 90's it's still unfired and even has all the original packaging including the brown paper it came in, for me finding a California transferable example unfired has evaded me for almost a decade. I've seen used versions going for $800 (fair) $1200 (good) $1500 (very good) and the occasional very excellent for anywhere between $2500-$4500. I'm yet to find one in Perfect condition... ESPECIALLY A California transferable one.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

Re a "California transferable one" and FYI if anyone is dying to get their hands on one - while it takes a bit of effort the Smith 29 referenced can be gotten into CA from outside by virtue of the "single action exemption".  Not to be confused with the now defunct "single shot exemption" used on semi-auto pistols.  A 3" barrel and OAL of +7" (which the 29 meets) qualifies for the SAE.  It's a fairly common practice in which the DA sear is removed during sale/transfer and provides an exemption to the "roster requirement" in CA.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Thread is 2.5 years old....