In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1873 38 40 Winchester

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have found a very nice 38 40 Winchester, very nice wood looks to be original with normal wesr and marks, nice fit. Has a decent bore,shoots and cycles nice. The problem is the steel is ALL white, completely cleaned. The guy is asking $ 1,650 for the gun. I have a smith that will rust blue the gun for $ 250. Would I be better off to wait for one that has a little bit of original blue left or go ahead and buy this one. They are very hard to find in this part of the country in this good of shape in this caliber.

Comments

• 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, at this stage it is a shooter. If you want a gun for CASS you can get Ubertis' or Cimmaron 1873 for around 1200. Since the finish was destroyed, it will never be worth more than a comparable grade shooter. JMO. If you have to have it for the cool factor, have your smith look it over first ad if needed, revise his estimate for your bluing job. Then discount that off the price of the gun.

Collector gun status-NO

Shooter gun status- YES

Project gun status- YES

Worth it?- Only you can decide
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you really want it, see if you can get it for $1500.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is about $650 too much, and as 317wc mentioned, it will forever be a "shooter" versus a collectable Winchester.