In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wilson spec ops 9mm

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
need to know what magazines will interchange/work with the Spec Ops 9mm 16 round mags.
originals are named/stamped wilson combat KZ 9mm . are there other brands that fit and work reliably or is that it[?][?][?][?]

thanks

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our members can help? You might call up one of the customer service reps at Brownells. They handle a lot of the parts for the high dollar, limited production, semi custom guns, built on 1911 platforms.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or call Wilson Combat.

I THINK that the SO9 magazine is unique to the gun.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that the SSO9 is one of the few Wilson's that are double stack. It has a molded polymer frame. As such, the only other maker's of double stack 1911 style auto's are STI, and Para-USA.

Buying a less expensive Para magazine to compare could work for you. If it does not work out, then sell the magazine.

Best
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    i think you are right [B)] that mag is for that gun only
    will order from Wilson.
    there is a person selling 4 on the auction side but he wants as much as new from Wilson, but i don't need 4 just 2 ,that will give me a total of 5[;)]
    thanks to all quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Or call Wilson Combat.

I THINK that the SO9 magazine is unique to the gun.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    need to know what magazines will interchange/work with the Spec Ops 9mm 16 round mags.

originals are named/stamped wilson combat KZ 9mm . are there other brands that fit and work reliably or is that it[?][?][?][?]

thanks

The KZ9mm/Spec Ops 9 magazines are unique to these particular Wilson guns. Nothing else off the shelf will work.

While it *might* be possible to custom-modify other double-stack 1911 mags to work, since new KZ9 mags are readily available and cost only $40 ($39 from Midway), I strongly doubt its worth the effort to muck around with this sort of thing.

I think Wilson's logic is something like BMW and Mercedes. . .if you can afford a $2000(+) gun, you're probably not going to be fazed paying a few extra bucks each for a magazine! [;)]

2706709.jpg?755

quote:Edit, responding to below:

I worry a bit about sole sourcing, though. It's not like they were turning these things out by the barge load like Glocks, or even STIs.
    They still sell KZ45 magazines so maybe there will be an adequate supply for buyers' lifetimes. I don't know about the grandkids, though.I agree, but this is always an issue with any non super-popular proprietary gun platform. . .later availability of parts and accessories. That's part of the "risk" you take when you buy a specialty gun like this.

Realisticaly, even if Wilson stopped making this gun now, I think you'd still probably be able to get magazines in 10-15 years, they'd just be scarce and correspondingly expensive. Again, if you had to, it may also be possible to modify other mags to work, and it also possible that a third party could introduce non-factory mags, if there were enough demand.

The way to address this, I think, is just to buy a few extra mags and then just forget about it. Unless you're competing with the gun or absolutely shooting the heck out of it, 4-5 mags is realistically probably more than you'd ever need, and unless they're abused, good mags do last a LONG time.

Personally, I'm not worried about buying extra mags today JUST for my grandchildren to use 35+ years from now. They can have other guns where mags will still be easy to find (eg pretty sure CZ-75, Beretta, 1911, and many other platform guns will still be popular and mags relatively easy to find, even 30-40+ years from now).

quote:
    The price isn't bad if you figure dollars per round of capacity.
    I don't think the price is bad, period, especially considering you're effectively talking about a high-end specialty gun here. Presumably the mags are high quality too.

Its not like the other double stack 1911 mags are cheaper. The STI double-stack 1911 mags run over $60 each, and even the "cheap" Para Ordnance ones start at $35.

Even factory SIG mags run $40 (in some cases more) and so do factory Walther mags, and both of those platforms are FAR more common and popular than double-stack 1911s (let alone Wilson's model).

Edit quote: As such, the only other maker's of double stack 1911 style auto's are STI, and Para-USA.Its irrelvant to the original question, but just for completeness sake, Bul-Transmark from Israel also makes double-stack 1911s, and there are a number of American companies who have either imported these in the past or even built their own double-stack 1911s on Bul frames (including Charles Daly and Kimber, IIRC).

The Bul, Para, and STI mags are generally interchangeable, though I think there may be bobbles with individual guns and individual mags. But as above, NONE of these interchange with the Wilson, which are proprietary, at least not without modification.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The price isn't bad if you figure dollars per round of capacity.

I worry a bit about sole sourcing, though. It's not like they were turning these things out by the barge load like Glocks, or even STIs.
    They still sell KZ45 magazines so maybe there will be an adequate supply for buyers' lifetimes. I don't know about the grandkids, though.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the reply. will order 2-3 more mags from Wilson.

nice Spec Ops beantownshootah[;)]

mine looks just like that except that the grips/stocks have a different eagle motif .

It is back at Wilson getting a ambidextrous thumb safety put in & tritium sights replaced with new, & a deluxe trigger job.
    90 day turnaround[:(]