In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Extended vs Flush Chokes

Sculpin67Sculpin67 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know how a Modified Extended choke would compare to a flush mount improved modified choke? Or how an extended IC would compare to a flush mount modified?

For reference, this would be for a Benelli SBE 2. I read somewhere that extended chokes have a tighter pattern than flushmounts, but that's all that was said.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the amount of consriction is what determines the parttern, not where its located.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several reasons for extended tubes. The two I concern myself with are ease of instalation/removal and steel shot.
    The former is obvious, no wrench needed. As for the latter, even steel compatible tubes can/will eventually buldge. The extended tube places the constriction out past the thread where it will not lock itself into the barrel when it buldges.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Almost. How quickly it constricts will have an effect as well.

However, unless the choke is *really* extended the constriction rate can't change much slower than a flush choke tube.

quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    the amount of consriction is what determines the parttern, not where its located.