In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inherited beautiful Remington 1100F--Keep or Sell?

Jhealey1955Jhealey1955 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently inherited a Remington 1100F 20 ga. Magnum from the estate of my great uncle. In pursuing a bit online, I see that the value of nice 1100F's can go quite high, but seem to vary widely, for reasons I do not quite understand.

This particular gun came with three barrels--a Magnum full choke barrel, an Imp. Cyl. 2-3/4" barrel, and a Skeet barrel. The bore on all three barrels is perfect--as is the gun itself. In fact, I'd be tempted to describe it as "Factory New" or "Perfect," and I can't find any evidence that the gun was ever even fired. The engraving on the gun is beautiful, though it does not have the gold inlay as I have seen on some. The bluing throughout is as new. I am not sure of the age, but as my uncle passed on 25 years ago (the estate was held onto by the extended family in the interim), it's certainly at least that old. Serial # is 469,9**X.

As much as I'd love to keep this beautiful old shotgun, particularly for sentimental reasons, if its value is as high as some I have seen, I simply cannot economically justify holding on to it-- with a baby on the way, a mortgage to pay, etc. My first thought is to sell it at auction on Gunbroker; however, I would not want to risk selling it for a paltry amount--I'd rather keep it in such a case. Does anyone here have an idea of what such a gun might be worth? Any suggestions on selling it--is Gunbroker a good bet, or would the fact that I only have 5 feedback ratings hurt my prospects of getting what it is worth?

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow it on gun broker and {elsewhere}...
    Without pick we have no clue.

Its your call. Base it on what the market will bear.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    List it on the gunbroker auction side with a lot of clear pictures. Do your research on prices and set the starting price at the absolute lowest amount you are willing to part with it for.

DO NOT use a reserve, most buyers hate reserve auctions and avoid them like the plague. The smart search function even has a tab that will exclude reserve auctions from the search results.

You might want to reconsider selling it at all no matter the "justification". Once gone it can not be replaced. Memories sparked by cherished items can bring a great deal of comfort over time.
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a 1100 fanatic i would have to say that a 20 mag, with 3 barrels would fetch a hell of a premium. i have seen just near new 20 mags go for 400-500 so i would deff think 600+ is not out of ?
  • Jhealey1955Jhealey1955 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the responses thus far, and my apologies for not posting photos initially. I have taken a few quick pictures, although I don't think they quite capture how nice the overall condition actually is. I just noticed that a custom extension appears to have been added to the stock at some point--which makes sense, considering my how tall my uncle was. Will this reduce the gun's value? Should it be professionally removed if I do decide to sell it?

img1347sm.jpg

img1348hs.jpg

img1351ov.jpg

img1352bt.jpg

img1353pc.jpg

img1354e.jpg

img1355s.jpg
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I would keep it, similar items of mine are priceless. Sure you can hock it for some quick cash right now, but once its gone........ well its gone for good. Your unborn child may appreciate such an heirloom some day, food for thought.

On top of that, it will have far more value then worthless paper currency before too much longer.
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG that thing is the tits megee. i would do some digging on that thing. it looks like it was a special in house custom (maybe). what ever it is damn i want it but right now it is way outta my league

I almost say keep it and deff pass on to your kids if you have any. if not pass it to a proper family member that can and will tressure it
  • bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW this makes my ALL AMERICAN and my 3200 look like and express .
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am curious as to why you think it is a factory 1100F. I'd like to see better photos, close enough to read all markings (including the SN). I'd also like to see factory documentation, or, at least, the box end labels.

The 1100F's I've seen had gold inlays. True, you could order anything you wanted, but most folks ordering an F-grade get at least some inlays.

The stock mutilation can't be "fixed". The entire butt stock needs to be replaced. You can factory order any dimensions on the stock for a D-F gun, so, I would guess that your uncle bought it used.

Replacing wood will not be cheap; you may as well sell it as is, & take your beating.

Neal
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for more research.
  • CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats like gold in the safe, its only going to increase in value over time and doesnt require any thing to maintain, there is someone out there that would pay a ton for that great looking gun. I dont know if Remington does letters, but couldnt hurt to find out. More pics please.