In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HK-91 Thermold Mags question

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Since the company that put them out was in the USA why are they no longer made? They fetch a good dollar rate when sold. Did the company go out of business?

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if they are around or not any more. At one time they were supposedly the mag of choice for the Canadian Army's M16's. I've used some and have never had any problems.
    If your looking at acquiring some check with CDNN as they sell them real cheap for the AK & AR. Seem to remember them selling ones for the HK.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My problem is not trying to find some for sale I have been trying to un load two new thermold HK-91 mags and I only ask what I paid for them in the mid 90's. They still have the price tags on them and If I had a HK I'd keep them and be hot to find more. Yet even if I offer to trade them to someone selling some over priced mags they act as if their over priced mags are worth gold while my thermolds worth more then what they are selling seemingly are worthless.

Not to mention the price of used guns everywhere. People want 20 bucks less then they paid for em new. When I want to sell one I get low balled.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember paying around $20 or so back in the late 90's and $40 - $50 for steel and alloy mags ... up until around 2004 when the ban expired.

It probably has something to do with the fact that there were a lot of surplus mags sold for $1 - $2 a few years back, I haven't priced any 91 mags lately as I stocked up them then.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got box of 40+ some factory HK steel & aluminum Mags, I paid $1.00 each for. Sent 10 to ECC.

Most likely the people you are trying to trade with remember that HK91 mag deal of a few years ago.

Here's my post from 2005.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=180397
    edited November -1
    Well maybe but there are tons more AR mags and yet the Thermolds fetch a steady price and far as I know they are still made?

I bought 8 or 9 thermolds for my AR even though I had a ton of the military issues ones from surplus. I guess the thermolds for the HK arn't all that.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HK 91 surplus mags are still available for $1-3.

CP
    edited November -1
    Well sure they are but HK-91 owners are noted for no compromise and the thermolds are simply the best.

quote:Originally posted by cpermd

CP
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Well sure they are but HK-91 owners are noted for no compromise and the thermolds are simply the best.

CP

No
    They are not.
    The HK steel mags are the best and they are $3.

CP
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz

CP

No
    They are not.
    The HK steel mags are the best and they are $3.

CP

Steel would be BAD in a swamp or jungle or even in a place where it rains a lot and the gun is in the field.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    14 months for a well thought out reply, I like that.

This market would probably be your best bet for getting back you $$.