In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

surplus powder

mrshortymrshorty Member Posts: 110
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
anyone here heard of or used 45DM supposed to load like bullseye?

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is no published data for that powder, it would be very foolish
    to assume that it loads like anything.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

If there is no published data for that powder, it would be very foolish
    to assume that it loads like anything.

^^^^^^^^^There's some advice which is both free AND good.....I'd take it!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    For any unknown powder that advice is valid. How ever as BULLS-EYE is one of the fastest powders ever loaded in and Cartridge and loading in a 45 acp case unknown powder . Would be something I would feel safe to try. Not advising you to do so but my reasoning would be start with with a light load and there would be close to NO WAY it could be over preassure If it functioned the full cycle of the slide I would see what recoil felt like and then EXPERIMENT with smallchanges of powder. I suspect with light charge it would not fully cycle the slide and than I would make sure the bullet did leave the barrel. I remember a lot of surplus powders available in the 1950's but never 45ACP powder at 5-7 grains of powder per round military would more than likely say why bother. [?]
    EDITThanks guys I respect your opinion I have always been attracted to Things that go BANG in big ways and fast motor Vehicles.
    making Black Powder as a kid experimenting with different % of the 3 items needed because I could not find out what they should be in the early 1950's Making cannons during the same time frame out of water pipe small er diameter inside large pipe with Lead melted in a gas fired plumbers pot and poured between the two. Cherry bomb as a Primer to set off main charge. This at age 15 . at age 50+ potato gun shooting golf balls with Ether starting fluid instead of hair spray
    Maybe I will refrain from even trying to find a supply for this powder . As to vehicles we will not even go into that except to say still a weakness of mine. [:0]
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PERRY,
    Some propellants burn like powder...until they reach a critical
    pressure, and then they burn like TNT ! That point isn't always
    apparent until it's too late.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, blank or flash powder have no business under a bullet.

google had nothing useful for 45DM.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    might be good to go to libray an look at very old reloading books i know they have books that are 60 to 70 years old might be some thing i there reguarding that powder. other wise it makes good fertilezr for garden
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrshorty
    anyone here heard of or used 45DM supposed to load like bullseye?

Never heard of it.

Assuming that this actually is a firearm type gunpowder intended for handgun use, I do agree that in theory you probably "could" work up a safe load with this powder starting REALLY small and going up. Edit: To be clear, I'm not sure it is safe to assume this. . .see below.

In PRACTICE, short of an emergency/scarcity/survival situation where no other powder were available, I don't see why you'd really want/have to do this.

In my opinion its just not worth taking a chance (nor the effort in working up a load from dead scratch, I don't think), just to save a few bucks on a can of powder. Don't forget that just working up a load has its own costs in bullets and your time (let alone peace of mind).

Also, if there were truly an "unknown" powder, I don't think 45ACP is the platform I'd want to mess with to start with. Something like 357 magnum probably gives you a greater margin for safety in terms of practical operating pressure range. Alternatively 45 ACP from a large frame revolver (eg Smith 25) probably has a greater margin of safety than a 1911 pistol in terms of overpressure.

I also couldn't find anything on this on Google. You might have an easier time getting more information (including potential load info) if you can identify the actual manufacturer. Where/when did/does this powder come from? Whomever has it should at least be able to tell you THAT, and I'd hope there is a LITTLE more information on the package container than just the letters "45DM".

If its just "random" powder with a hand-written label sitting in a jar, forget it. . .not worth the risk/trouble/hassle.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looked at some very old reloading manuals back into the speer number 2 book which i think is 1950 cant make out date cover is real bad. but there is no reference to that powder name. it possably could be a military powder for a larger bore type projectial. cannon howitzer?.I would not load it unless i found published data from one of the major bullet or ammo makes
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Shorty,

Check out http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

At the bottom of the page is Jeff's email addy.

If he can't answer your question, DON"T TOUCH THE STUFF!