In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cyclic rate reducer for a semi auto AK-47?

0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible/legal to put a rate reducer in a semi auto AK for the purpose of bump firing without experiencing the problem of the hammer riding the bolt foward?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    sure, just slow down your 'bump'
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes sense but I'm just wondering if its possible to take a rate reducer from a full auto and drop it in a semi auto. Ive never had my hands on a FA so I don't even know if its possible.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if its possible/'practical to install JUST the "rate reducer" into an SA gun.

I also don't know if doing that, by itself, will solve your bump firing issue. . .but I doubt it will hurt.

In terms of legality, I think that the rate reducer BY ITSELF is OK, so long as you don't have any other full-auto type fire control parts, at least according to Federal law. State law may be more restrictive.

The "trick" is that by Federal law a machine gun is any part or combination of parts designed "solely and exclusively" to create a machinegun.

In this case, I think the rate-reducer is neither necessary nor sufficient to create a full auto gun. Since it does have other potential uses (eg for safety) other than purely to create a full auto gun, it "should" be OK.

Note that altering a gun so that its easier to bump fire, or safer when bump firing is NOT illegal, so long as you don't get more than one shot per trigger pull, and I think that's (arguably) another "legitimate" use for something like this.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    What you are calling a rate reducer is more accurately a hammer retarder. If you are using a single hook trigger it fits on the right side of the trigger where a second hook would be on a double hook trigger. The trigger pin passes through it and to hold it all together there sleeve that keeps it as an assembly. All this thing does is slow the hammer fall for very brief moment when the autosear trips and then allows the hammer to release. This rate reducer is now very common in Kalashnikovs and even the Krinkov has a "dummy reducer" installed so that the same receiver can be utilized. To put this thing into a semi auto you need to drill an additional hole in the receiver and I never recommend this unless you are a skilled gunsmith. Even if you get the thing inside the receiver and can manage to sort out the issues involved in making it work with semi auto parts, it won't do anything useful and may in fact cause light hammer strikes leading to malfunctions.

We used to have a Class II Manufacturer on our board who could no doubt give you all of the details but he could not get along with the membership nor did he like the way I managed this forum (he and Doc can chat about that) and he has not been heard from in quite some time.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    I don't know if its possible/'practical to install JUST the "rate reducer" into an SA gun.

I also don't know if doing that, by itself, will solve your bump firing issue. . .but I doubt it will hurt.

In terms of legality, I think that the rate reducer BY ITSELF is OK, so long as you don't have any other full-auto type fire control parts, at least according to Federal law. State law may be more restrictive.

The "trick" is that by Federal law a machine gun is any part or combination of parts designed "solely and exclusively" to create a machinegun.

In this case, I think the rate-reducer is neither necessary nor sufficient to create a full auto gun. Since it does have other potential uses (eg for safety) other than purely to create a full auto gun, it "should" be OK.

Note that altering a gun so that its easier to bump fire, or safer when bump firing is NOT illegal, so long as you don't get more than one shot per trigger pull, and I think that's (arguably) another "legitimate" use for something like this.

Sorry to disagree with what you define as Federal Law, but the BATFE has determined that a SHOESTRING qualifies as a "machinegun", and that possession of said SHOESTRING landed at least 2 people in prison.