In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Modern Target Shooters Using the Krag-Jorgensen?

BriareosBriareos Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
First off, I'm sorry if this sounds disjointed but I'm trying to remember the particulars off the top of my head...

I saw a video on the internet of target shooters in Europe, I'm guessing Sweden or Norway; and they were using either a bolt-action rifle I can't remember the name of (Mauser maybe?) or a Krag-Jorgensen refitted to a new stock and refinished to look new?

I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.

Did I dream this?[:I]

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1892-99

One locking lug of questionable metallurgy vs. two on a 98 mauser.

The old Krag's are very slick action wise. All the ones I played seem to shoot ok, nothing to write home about.

I like 98's a lot more.

Perhaps http://www.skydevaaben.com/kongsberg/kragtarget/info.xml
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Briareos,

The first thing that came to mind is the CMP 'Service Rifle' Competitions. These are held across the U.S and possibly Europe. Camp Perry in the summer has several flavors of military weapons competitions and I know Ben Avery in Arizona has them as well. So I don't think you're too far off with this question at all.

When I've shot in these competitions, I used a Swedish Mauser M96 or M38 or a German M98 Mauser. There is a variety though of rifles which can be used based on the rules already established.

Best.
  • BriareosBriareos Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HA! That second link provided by Charlie hit the spot head-on! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, to find a way to get one of those Krags, or even a Sauer. Sig-Sauer doesn't list them on their US website.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Briareos
    HA! That second link provided by Charlie hit the spot head-on! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, to find a way to get one of those Krags, or even a Sauer. Sig-Sauer doesn't list them on their US website.

It doesn't seem entirely clear from Charlie's link, to me. The Norwegian Krag was chambered for the Swede 6.5 X 55 military cartridge. Finding a U.S. gunsmith willing and knowledgeable to rebarrel and rework one of our .30 Krags, to 6.5 X 55. Might be a problem?

EDIT #1,

If you intend to use it for matches/competition, the 6.5 Swede is a excellent cartridge. Much more pleasant to shoot in long matches, then the various 30 caliber and 8mm military cartridges. Specially the old U.S. Krag, with the 220 grain Army cartridge.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    One should note, the Norwegian Krags have the locking lug plus the guide rib bearing against the receiver. If you plan to rebarrel a US one to a new cartridge, keep it mild as in ours, only the locking lug bears against the receiver. The guide rib can provide an extra half lug's worth of strength.