In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does CMP sell reloaded ammo?

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
Several years ago I purchased some ammo from CMP.
The outside of the .30cal can it came in reads as follows,

Ball M2 - TR M25
Ball HXP 101-10-83
TR HXP 102-4-83
Lot-L-HXP-103L-3-83

I can't decipher all of the codes, but it looks like it should be 1983 production, and the can doesn't suggest armor piercing either, but the copper jacketed projectiles grab a magnet hard.
The date codes on the case heads themselves range between '76 and '78, with majority being '77.

Does the CMP reload fired brass?
Also, is there anything in the above information that implies armor piercing?
These things drilled a clean hole through 3/8" mild steel.

They came packed 200 rounds loose in a plastic bag inside an ammo can, but it was not "sealed".

I own two rifles in .30-06.
One is a brand new Mossberg bolt gun that I'm not too concerned with.
The second is a Browning sportsman's version of the B.A.R.
Will this mil-surp stuff be o.k. in the Browning, or might it be a bit hot?

Any information about this particular ammo would be appreciated.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the headstamp on the ammo, is HXP? It was made in a Greek arsenal. Lot of the European made ammo, used a plated steel jacket, over the lead core. Unlike our stuff.

Don't know for sure? But I would be pretty leary, about shooting this stuff in a BAR. Until someone who was knowledgeable, about the type of powder used, and it's burning rate. Could give you assurance, on it's suitability.
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. I don't think CMP sells anything reloaded. As to the ammo you mention HPX is the Greek Mfg ammo. M2 is the standard 150 gr ball rd. Most of this ammo has steel jackets that is why a magnet will stick to it. The can you have was once contained ammo linked for machine gun use thus the ball/tracer mix as noted. They just used the can to ship what you actually received in it. It should shoot fine in any .30-06 rifle.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Headstamps read HXP and either 76, 77, or 78.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If the headstamp on the ammo, is HXP? It was made in a Greek arsenal. Lot of the European made ammo, used a plated steel jacket, over the lead core. Unlike our stuff.

Don't know for sure? But I would be pretty leary, about shooting this stuff in a BAR. Until someone who was knowledgeable, about the type of powder used, and it's burning rate. Could give you assurance, on it's suitability.

EDIT #1,

Dating to the 70's, it possibly could be corrosive also? Some countries used corrosive primers, much later than the U.S. did. The gas systems of modern commercial semi-auto rifles. Aren't made for easy cleaning. After shooting corrosive ammo.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boxer primed, non-corrosive. It was spec'd for use in the M1 rifle, so will not harm any modern rifle in good condition.

I shoot my .30-06 ammo, M2 ball or USGI AP, as if it would kill anything within 1 1/2 miles, so I am careful to pick an appropriate back stop.

Neal
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the government reloads it's ammo don't they? So it would seem likely that at least some of the CMP ammo would have been reloaded.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, neither the US govt nor the Greek government reloads military ammo.

The ammo in question is Greek milsurp- and as said, non-corrosive. I have about a thousand rounds of the Greek .303 milsurp, and wish I had more. HXP= good stuff.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few rounds 'Match' blanks 30-06 stuff that were reloaded by the military and issued.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    No, neither the US govt nor the Greek government reloads military ammo.

The ammo in question is Greek milsurp- and as said, non-corrosive. I have about a thousand rounds of the Greek .303 milsurp, and wish I had more. HXP= good stuff.

HXP in .303 or 30-06 is real good stuff the brass is top shelf.