In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR15 Question

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a fellow who wants to trade an AR for another item I have and has given me the description below. He has two AR's for trade, but I really don't know what 6.8 SPC is, or stands for.

"I've got one in 6.8 SPC and one in 5.56/.223."

I already have an HBAR Colt, but would not mind having another to shoot, I just want to understand the difference.

EDIT:

I did a search on 6.8 in the forum. Disregard my inquiry.

EDIT II
Armalite,
Thanks for the description. Now, I need to decide if I should trade for the 6.8 or the 5.56. Since I akready have the 5.56 in the HBAR model, I may make the trade for the 6.8. Who knows, the ammo looks pricey and it may be just another "gimick" like the 45GAP. A round that may be harder to get as time goes on.
Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AM CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF AN AR15 ,LOOKING AT OLYMPIC ARMS 223 PLINKER AND ARMALITE M15 A4 FLAT TOP. THE OLYMPIC IS ABOUT 250.00 CHEEPER,,IS IT WORTH THE SAVINGS? DO THEY BOTH ACCEPT STANDARD AR15 ACCESSORIES ,CLIPS,SIGHTS,FURNITURE ETC. THANKS,,,,,

RONK7716@CS.COM
    edited November -1
    I was at the range today and after a couple hundred rounds my gun would not a pick up a round from the magazine. I tried 2 Lancer and one PMAG. With the bolt open and the bolt release pressed it will chamber a round like it should and go bang, but will go click on the second. Every thing looks right when I took it apart.
    edited November -1
    i am pretty new to this firearms thing, bought my first pistol as a christmas present for myself this past year. anyways i have been considering buying an ar15 and asked a more knowledgeable friend which way he thought was the best to go. his response was build your own and recommended american spirit arms. after reading on another website's forum where asa was basically trashed i wanted to hear some unbiased or biased from another site opinions on the best route to go for a first timer. i hope this doesn't come across as just plain stupid. thanks for taking the time to read this.-dave[:I]
    edited November -1
    Now I have only owned 1 AR, my current one buily on a Colt A1 upper and a Stag Lower. Here is the one thing about it that bugs me. When I shoot the thing it just feels odd, like it a wobbling action that almost feels like its pogo stickign off my shoulder a little. Is there a way to get around this? I have heard of bolt bouncing with ARs, and I figure it may be this. It defineately is a separate feel from the initial recoil, kind of like a Browning A5 has the two hit recoil, but it feels like this gun is pulling forward and wobbling. Its hard to describe, but being an HK91 and FAL man I figured I would ask around.
    edited November -1
    Should the Ar15 be able to cock with the safety in the "Safe" position?
  • T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, safety only blocks the trigger.
    edited November -1
    Let me rephrase the question because the trigger needs to move in order for the hammer to engage the trigger and it can't if it's blocked from movement by the safety.
    With the hammer in the forward position, can the safety be switched from "fire" to "safe" on a standard semi auto AR15 with standard, unmodified trigger?
  • T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be no. Sorry, I had a brain fart when I read your question, was thinking about charging not cocking the hammer.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'm not trying to sharpshoot , but ran into a problem comparing my first AR that I installed a JP trigger in with several current lower builds that wont allow switching from Fire to Safe with hammer forward.
    As it is the JP job will allow the switch, leading to a jam if you try to charge while in Safe position.
    It's been some time since the JP installation and don't recall any issues but I'll have to dig in and see if that defect can be rectified by adjustment.
    I don't know if it's a problem with other adjustable triggers.
    P.S. The $50 Bushmaster lowers are nicely made & Sportsmans Guide has cheap DPMS lower parts kits.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thoughts: it's not "supposed" to work that way. If it does, there's likely some tolerance issues with the selector to trigger interface. This MAY lead to a situation which allows the rifle to fire with the safety engaged.
    I had exactly ONE fire control group which allowed re-cocking on safe and found that if the trigger was pulled while on safe, occasionally the hammer would fall when the safety was released. That FCG is in a bag labeled "UNSAFE" in my parts box.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's probably a defect with the JP trigger. A normal AR safety won't go to SAFE with the hammer down.
    edited November -1
    That's interesting. The JP installation was done some years back. Once set up there was never an issue. The question arose after assembling a couple of new Bushmaster lowers and making comparisons.
    I'll contact JP and see what they have to say.
    The JP was adjusted to give a short 3.5# trigger pull with little overtravel.
    Using a "speed hammer" & JP hammer spring it reliably fired hard Norinco primers but failed on 22lr in an USAF conversion kit.
    A stock hammer spring brought it above 5#.
    Before accepting a 5# pull, I'll retry using the JP hammer spring with a heavier mil spec hammer.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Should the Ar15 be able to cock with the safety in the "Safe" position?

Another way of putting the answer is that you can not engage the AR 15 safety to "on" with the hammer forward. I have seen AR safeties made that allow it to be engaged with the hammer forward and allow the hammer to be cocked with the safety engaged. I'm not sure of the purpose, don't recall the brand, but they were made that way by design, not defect.