In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uzi/ Century Arms UC9 - Firing Pin Question?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I haven't had any response yet to the following questions from actual Uzi Forums so I thought that I'd ask these here.

I have a Uzi/Century Arms UC9, Model A. The firing pin appears to be piercing the primers. The obvious solution is to shorten/ file down the firing pin. My questions are: 1.) Does anyone know if the firing pins are made of case hardened steel? 2.) If so, will the firing pin need to be rehardened after shortening/filing is completed? and 3.) If so, should it be hardened in either oil or cool water?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not familiar with Uzi's or their clones. I'd locate a spare firing pin before filing. Now me I'd see if the firing pin could use a longer or heavier firing pin spring (like a 1911 has) before filing. I figure springs are cheaper than pins.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ball/hemispherical profile rather than a cone shaped nose. I would use a stone, I doubt it is overly hard more likely tough. Does it look like this? http://shop-usbarrelshrouds-com.3dcartstores.com/Uzi-Firing-Pin_p_131.html

Did you try other ammo to make sure the gun is at fault?

Added. Should you decide to shorten the pin, practice making a ball point on a few nails, cheap training aide. It's lots easier to take more off than to put it back on. A Sharpe is handy to show you where you are removing metal.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie - Hey again! Thanks for the answers. I've used several different recipes of my own reloads and manufactured ammo. The same appears to be happening with both. Somebody told me that I might have a headspace problem. However, that just doesn't sound right to me.

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Ball/hemispherical profile rather than a cone shaped nose. I would use a stone, I doubt it is overly hard more likely tough. Does it look like this? http://shop-usbarrelshrouds-com.3dcartstores.com/Uzi-Firing-Pin_p_131.html

Did you try other ammo to make sure the gun is at fault?