In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 Cowboy bullets in a 45ACP semi auto?

WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a bunch of reloading stuff from a friend (Estate sale he went to)and the deceased fellow shot cowboy stuff. So I got 350 200gr lead RNFP and 470 180gr RNFP.

I ran a small batch test in 45 ACP using a 1911 and both shot very nicely.

Is there any reason (obviously unknown to me) why these should not be used in a 45ACP semi-auto?

They would be used for CQC drills so short range with accuracy not important (although I hit what I aimed for with them at 20-25 feet)
3YUCmbB.jpg
"Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
Otto von Bismarck

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    They are fine unless they are .454 bullets if they are .454 you can still use them but might need to reduce powder charge 10-20 %
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, they are .452 same as lead ACP.

They look like a standard ACP round nose with the end cut off
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they work, they work. Which they usually do even though the wide flat point and short OAL look odd. They are probably a better choice for foreign guns in .45 ACP than semiwadcutters.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load them with 6.0 of Unique and you might be amazed how accurate they are.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded similar bullets, as heavy as 250 grains. For the 45 ACP. As long as the powder charged is reduced, to compensate for the heavier bullet. No problems.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Load them with 6.0 of Unique and you might be amazed how accurate they are.

In these days of pistol powder and hard to find I got Unique (2), Blue Dot (2), Clays(2.5), W296(2), Power Pistol (1)and Titegroup (2) (=pounds)
    I am using the Clays for the 200gr and will use the Unique on the 180 and sell the rest at the next gun show enough so the 800+ bullets and the powder I use are free.
    I was just glad to get the stuff let alone at a great price.

My concern was if the lube was lacking being as lead either works or does not but extended use was the bigger question

Thanks for the comments and affirmation
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    As long as they feed OK use them [;)]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've loaded a lot of the 200-gr RNFP cowboy bullets in the 45 ACP, and the feeding has been flawless in three different makes of 1911's. I seat the bullets with the crimping groove just ahead of the case mouth. For a 200-grainer, I like these better than the SWC's [:)].
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember 45ACP was designed on purpose to replicate the ballistics of black powder/revolver .45LC in a smokeless/auto configuration.

The caveat here is that revolver bullets don't always feed in auto guns. But as already mentioned, assuming yours do and you keep the loads reasonable, there is no reason you can't use them.

Plenty of people do this. . .no issue.

With respect to leading, you shouldn't see any more than any other bullet. Keep em lubed and velocities reasonable (eg around 800 fps) and you shouldn't have an issue.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking light charge and light springs. Target loads [;)].