In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin closing down

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just heard a rumor that Marlin is closing the doors please tell me this isn't true. As always any info is appreciated.
Terrill

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't suprise me. Their quality has suffered since Remington bought them..and Remington is closing Para Ordnance.
  • telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would rather see Remington close instead of Para. Everything has gone to hell since they have bought up all the competition. Remington is cheap crap anymore!
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, short of speaking with a Remington insider, I don't think there is any real way to definitively refute this, since Remington wouldn't announce anything until it was a "done deal". Marlin itself might not even know until the last second. Calling customer service of either company probably won't help, because they wouldn't know.

That said, I strongly doubt this is true. This wouldn't be the first time a false rumor got started about Marlin (or others in the gun industry). EG: http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/freedom.asp

Marlin is still one of the oldest and most respected names in American gun manufacture. So at the very least there is still quite a bit of goodwill associated with the name, and therefore brand value.

If we assume that Remington simply cares about the bottom line, then if Marlin weren't profitable anymore, Remington probably wouldn't simply shutter it (ie destroying all residual brand value PLUS their own goodwill/reputation in the process), but instead try to sell it.

Edit: If by "closing the doors", you mean Marlin could be closing down its manufacturing (ie to move it elsewhere), well I think that ship has already sailed.

Marin used to make its guns in New Haven. Since Remington acquired it, the Marlin branded guns are now made in NY and KY at Remington facilities, with the "official" Marlin HQ in NC. Again, even if we assume Remington doesn't want to make Marlin guns anymore, I'd think they'd at least want to sell off the NAME/Brand (if not name AND tooling), instead of just entirely killing it off.

Edit, responding to below:
    quote:With the political climate, all we may be able to buy in the future would be lever actions....with a magazine block to limit the number of cartridges you could load to two...maybe one.
    Its off-topic, but I politely disagree.

Not only are more Americans shooting on a regular basis then ever before in American history, but gun ownership is at an all time high. With a few individual exceptions in liberal enclaves (eg NY), gun *LAW* has actually been getting more LAX in many parts of the country. EG, more states than ever recognize concealed carry, more people are actually carrying, and there is a real movement afoot to nationalize carry permits. Even the BATFE has backed off in certain areas. EG, now they say you can legally convert pistols to rifles and back again. . .ten years ago they said the opposite.

The point is, gun control is currently a major political loser right now. That's why despite holding the White House AND Congress the Democrats couldn't pass any kind of gun control package under President Obama.

Not only is this not likely to change, but as above, support for gun control continues to get weaker.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the political climate, all we may be able to buy in the future would be lever actions....with a magazine block to limit the number of cartridges you could load to two...maybe one.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handled a new Remington 1911 recently. It had a nice adjustable trigger but a real loose,rattly slide.
    On forged USA 1911 slides, I could pinch them and tighten them up.
    I suspect the new cast slides would crack.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on grey beard outdoors on feb 27 there was a post from a man who claimed to be employed by h&R and he posted they were done. he was a barrel fitter
  • ZebrafiveZebrafive Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by godalejr
    on grey beard outdoors on feb 27 there was a post from a man who claimed to be employed by h&R and he posted they were done. he was a barrel fitter

He stated H&R was done, not Marlin