In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stiff Decocker lever on Walther PPK/s and TPH

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a new Walther PPK/s (S&W) .380 and a NIB Walther TPH .22lr (Interarms)..Both pistols are accurate beyond any reasonable expectations, I toss a tennis ball and hit it repeatedly along the ground until it's impossible to see. Both pistols group like fine target pistols. However: both have safety/decocker levers that are terribly stiff and basically impossible to use comfortably with the thumb; I checked a dozen new PPK/s pistols at a dealer and they are all the same so mine is not unusual. The .22lr TPH has the same safet/decocker lever and it's just as bad. The PPK/s was returned to S&W for the recall and I asked them to fix the decocker problem since the gun was brand new; they did the recall and did nothing about the decocker and didn't even respond to my inquiry. My opinion of S&W has reached a low point; especially when I compare the S&W "walther" to the German-made gun..no comparison. Bummer for me; now that I'm retired, I wanted to buy quite a few new S&W guns, but with this poor customer service-no. My question: any ideas as to making the decocker/safety less stiff? I shoot the THP daily and considered reducing the spring behind the detent that engages the decocker, but that spring also holds the ectractor in place and I don't want to blow the extractor off (the design basically dictates an unsupported case rim)... The PPK/s looks the same. Any ideas other than stone and polish the mating surfaces? thanks

Comments

• GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago, I owned three S&W revolvers. A stainless 686 357 mag with four inch full underload barrel, a model 29 "dirty harry" 44 mag 8 3/8 barrel, and a model 19 snub nose 357 mag. I always shoot 158 grain jacketed hollow point 357 magnum that anyone can buy at wally world. I would also shoot remington UMC yellow box 44 magnum. All three shot out of battery. The cylinder's began dragging on the breech of the barrel's, at which point the triggers became difficult to pull. The ejector rods were slightly protruding from the sides of the barrel's. Contacted the manufacturer. I was asked what "type" of ammo was shot through them. Once I told them they told me that their 357 revolvers were designed to shoot a steady diet of 38 special, not 357 magnum, and their 44 magnums are only designed to shoot a steady diet of 44 special. I replied " then don't put 357 "magnum" or 44 "magnum" on the barrels". Then they told me that they would not honor their lifetime warranty and that I had to pay for each repair including shipping both ways. Once they were repaired and a small fortune spent, I put them on consignment at my local ffl. I will NEVER EVER EVER, did I mention EVER buy another piece of crap S&W so long as I live. I bought 2 Ruger SP-101's and never looked back. The greatest 357's ever made IMHO! They will literally "eat" anything that I feed them. I DETEST SMITH&WESSON! Having just vented, take your pistols to a gunsmith that you trust. They might be able to work their "magic" on the them making the decockers smoother and lighter. Almost anything is possible with the right gunsmith. An honest and reputable gunsmith will always inform you if nothing at all can be done!
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Garth
    A few years ago, I owned three S&W revolvers. A stainless 686 357 mag with four inch full underload barrel, a model 29 "dirty harry" 44 mag 8 3/8 barrel, and a model 19 snub nose 357 mag. I always shoot 158 grain jacketed hollow point 357 magnum that anyone can buy at wally world. I would also shoot remington UMC yellow box 44 magnum. All three shot out of battery. The cylinder's began dragging on the breech of the barrel's, at which point the triggers became difficult to pull. The ejector rods were slightly protruding from the sides of the barrel's. Contacted the manufacturer. I was asked what "type" of ammo was shot through them. Once I told them they told me that their 357 revolvers were designed to shoot a steady diet of 38 special, not 357 magnum, and their 44 magnums are only designed to shoot a steady diet of 44 special. I replied " then don't put 357 "magnum" or 44 "magnum" on the barrels". Then they told me that they would not honor their lifetime warranty and that I had to pay for each repair including shipping both ways. Once they were repaired and a small fortune spent, I put them on consignment at my local ffl. I will NEVER EVER EVER, did I mention EVER buy another piece of crap S&W so long as I live. I bought 2 Ruger SP-101's and never looked back. The greatest 357's ever made IMHO! They will literally "eat" anything that I feed them. I DETEST SMITH&WESSON! Having just vented, take your pistols to a gunsmith that you trust. They might be able to work their "magic" on the them making the decockers smoother and lighter. Almost anything is possible with the right gunsmith. An honest and reputable gunsmith will always inform you if nothing at all can be done!

You were dealing with "customer no service". On being treated like this with a "go away" answer, I would work my way up the food chain at S&W and let the president know that the the board of directors members will be getting the same e/mail detailing the problem that he just received. This info should be available through some web digging.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    IMO, S&W has sold their souls to the recapture of profit to the exclusion of customer service, repair, or even fit/finish.
    I only own 1 S&W product; a 2206 target pistol that I bought almost 25 years ago because it takes a 12-rd mag, and has the mag release in the middle of the grip, where one's fingers are.
    I used to have a low opinion of their company; now I just can't say anything nice about them at all. What they've done to Walthers' name and reputation is unforgivable.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Garth, the term for revolvers firing with the cylinder misaligned with the barrel is "out of time". Revolvers don't really have "battery".

On your specific problem, its been known for decades that the K-frame Smith .357s don't hold up to thousands of rounds of full bore .357 rounds, and ditto for the Smith 29s with lots of .44 magnums. This is one reason why Smith introduced the L frame revolver for 357, and also why Smith stopped manufacturing all K-frame .357s years ago. Smith has also made changes to its .44 magnum guns over the years to beef them up a bit.

None of this justifies Smith not honoring its warranties, but it does at least explain the problem.

Since this has apparently turned into a "bash" SW thread, I'll add the following anecdote about my experience with Smith customer service:

I recently had a problem with my Smith 22A pistol (was a broken firing pin). Sent Smith the entire slide with a note saying, in effect "Here's my 22A slide, I think the firing pin is broken, please fix". 8 weeks later I got in back in the mail, fixed, no charge to me, no questions asked. Can't really complain about that, can I?

On the Walther decocker, my experience with them has been that they're all stiff.

And I agree, if Smith won't fix this, take it to a competent gunsmith. At best they'll fix it, and at worst, they'll tell you they don't want to mess with the safety system.