In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 1886 takedown rear sight ?

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Looking at a Winchester model 1886 Takedown in 33WCF it has a lyman rear sight mounted on the left side of the receiver large flat type of mount. Given two guns in the same condition one with standard type rear sight and one with this LYMAN peep what would the value be plus or minus with this lyman sight[?] Thanks Karl. Also is factory barrel crown Flat and in the white [?]

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karl,

If the Lyman No. 21 (or No. 38) is factory original, it is an easy + $500 addition versus a standard rear sight. Yes... the factory 33 WCF barrels were uncrowned and in the white.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch BERT I though that would be the answer as to correct they could be original. but had no Idea the sight would actually add value
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl,

Watch what they sell for on the common internet auction sites. I have seem sell for $600+.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Bert, is it true that Winchester installed Lyman 21's and 38's had the ivory bead elevation markings, whereas "over the counter" 21's and 38's did not have the ivory?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Bert, is it true that Winchester installed Lyman 21's and 38's had the ivory bead elevation markings, whereas "over the counter" 21's and 38's did not have the ivory?

I have not ever found any evidence to support that theory.