In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1873 rifle

deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Please, a little info on this one.
The ser# is: 245,371 and it looks like a small, upper case H after it.
What year would it been manufactured in? The receiver has no finish left but the barrel is a nice blue???

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its possible the receiver was case colored not blued.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the prompt answers.
    He wants $1400 CDN, probably negotiable, so I will ask for some closer-ups.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might ask for a close up picture of a side of the receiver with the side plate removed. The original finish should still be apparent in the protected area that is covered by the side plate edge, unless the receiver finish was removed intentionally.
    edited November -1
    Backside of the side plates are the best place to see old case. If it is case colored the gun is worth more. What is the configuration of the gun? i.e. caliber, barrel shape, length
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a round, long barrel rifle with crescent(thanks 1873man) buttstock and on close inspection of the pics I can make out traces of case colour on the receiver but the loading gate seems to be almost all blue.The wood is vg.The chap that owns it, 1st. language, is French so the description is so-so, I will try. The bore look sharp.From the poor picture I have it is a button mag. No calibre yet but I will repeat the question, looks too small to be a 44.
    edited November -1
    24" is standard for 73. Longer or shorter will increase its value. Round barrel will detract a little from it value. The loading gate was blued. With most Winchester lever rifles the value follows these rules. 1 The bigger the bore the more its worth. 2 Octagon barrel is worth more than Round. 3 A full magazine is more than short. 4 A crescent butt plate over shotgun butt. If you have enough special features these rules don't always apply. The other thing with 73's you can check the serial number with the Cody Museum to find out how it left it factory.
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg