In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee loader for 6.5 carcano...from .264 to 268?

blitz65blitz65 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I would like to be able to load.268 bullets with my.264 Lee Carcanoloader.However Lee doesn't offer that conversion service....any suggestions...?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what is your issue? Will the case and bullet not fit in the die. Case crushing due to larger bullet?

I am a big fan of the Lyman 310 stuff. I have over 40 sets and use most them. It is my favorite way to prime cases.

added I used a Lee Loader system for 44 Mag once back in the 70's. I wasn't impressed, however the deluxe 12 gauge hand set is very nice.

I'm not 100% sure the 310 Lyman will easily go .004 oversize, but a lot of the expander dies were stepped and had .002/.003 for cast bullets.

I'll look on youtube to see if I can find a good of the Lee in operation, perhaps I could offer better advice. Reaming the hole and a new oversize seater might work. Might need the ream the neck area to make room for the larger bullet in the case.

It appears Lyman didn't make a 310 in 6.5 Car. I have the 6.5 Jap set.

I think with your Lee set using the neck sizing die as the bullet seating holder is going to be the issue. No room for the oversize bullet. Perhaps inside ream the case neck or outside turn them down to make room.

Are you sure the loaded case with the bigger bullet will fit in the rifle chamber? I'd test that first. A conventional loading die set might be easier to deal with by just getting the proper expander ball.
  • blitz65blitz65 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I don't know what is your issue? Will the case and bullet not fit in the die. Case crushing due to larger bullet?

I am a big fan of the Lyman 310 stuff. I have over 40 sets and use most them. It is my favorite way to prime cases.

The Lee loader is exactly .264 , so a.268 bullet won't even drop through the top of the die
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 6.5 Carcano original bullet diameter was .268 and 160 grains.

Many people use .264 bullets when reloading for the Carcano because .268 bullets are hard to come by. PPU ammo that is currently available for the 6.5 Carcano uses .264 diameter bullets.

Thus by shooting smaller than intended diameter bullets thru Carcanos, these rifles have an undeserved reputation for poor accuracy. The Carcanos were also designed to shoot long heavy 160gr bullets.
    Having said that: There are Carcanos that will perform OK with .264 bullets.

If you can find any reliable milsurp ammo or .268/160gr Hornady bullets, you can make your Carcano shoot as accurately as any other period rifle providing the bore is in good condition. I personally own a 91 that will shoot sub MOA with correct bullets.

I am uncertain of Lee dies. You may want to mike your expander ball.

I use RCBS dies and .268/160gr bullets to load the 6.5 Carcano. I have never used .264 bullets. Hornady still catalogs the .268 bullets and makes a run of them every 2 years. Best stock up when they become available.