In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Field & Co Shotgun

dft88dft88 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at an older BP shotgun that is stamped Field & Co. I have done a search here with no results and cant find anything online. Does anyone know anything about these or can you tell me where to start looking. The barrels are stamped Laminted Steel but other than some proof marks there is veryy little else.

Comments

• Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    I have a listing for an old "Trade Brand Name" shotgun named THE FIELD. It was made by one of two companies. Either if made before 1894 Forehand Arms Company and if made after 1894 Crescent Fire Arms Company. If the gun was made by either of these two makers it would have no proof marks on it. What proof marks does your gun have?
  • dft88dft88 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ned...I dont have the gun just some pictures and am unable to make out the marks. I have never mastered posting pictures on the forum. I will do some research on both these companys but it doesnt sound like this gun. Thanks for the reply...Bob
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dft88
    Ned...I dont have the gun just some pictures and am unable to make out the marks. I have never mastered posting pictures on the forum. I will do some research on both these companys but it doesnt sound like this gun. Thanks for the reply...Bob

Is there possibly the initial A before Field & Co? If so, probably sold by Alfred Field & Co, a large sporting goods firm who had offices in both England and New York.