In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W M 629-1 Early Lew Horton, Value?

blyeooblyeoo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Good Morning:

I really want to thank you folks for all the information, advice and insights that you've provided to me in the last few days about my 629-1 with the 8 3/8" barrel (I just sold it to a local deputy sheriff), S&W Custom 1917 and 2nd Gen Colt SAA.

I have another S&W N Frame to inquire about today (as long as you're not sick of me).

This is another firearm that I acquired when I had the shop back in the mid 1980's. This is an original early Lew Horton that at the time, I had to jump through hoops to obtain. If I recall correctly, these early Lew Horton's were very limited production.

This has a 3" barrel (not 3 1/2") measured from the front face of the cylinder. Serial Number, BA NO 460. I have two sets of grips (my memory is vague about this, but I think maybe both pair of grips came with the gun). One set is smooth wood with finger grooves and medallions. The other set is what's on it in the pictures (Hogue Rubber).

At the time when these were originally manufactured, I just had to have one (I've always been a fan of short barreled N Frames).....HaHa, and subsequently I never shot the piece (had to have it, but never shot it, chuckle). It's like new, unfired and almost unturned. To my heartbreak and chagrin, I no longer have the original box or paperwork (thanks to an exe-wife, but that's another story).

What's your opinions about the value of this gun (with no box)? Does the SN being under 500 have any significance? Are these early Lew Horton's premium to the more current versions?

Thanks again in advance for any light you may be able to shed.

I hope everyone is has a good weekend.

Best Regards.

Ok, now I'll try this danged picture thing again. Hopefully they won't be so tiny like thumbnails. Here goes nothing.......

I just tried to upload the pictures from ImageShack and they're coming out small again. I think that I did everything you folks said to do, but the only option I seem to have are what ImageSack calls "thumbnails". The "TH" is before the "JPG" on every one and I can't find one on ImageShack without that danged "TH". I'm not a paid member of ImageShack, could that be my problem? I used the ImageShack option "Upload Images To A Forum". I also attempted the options "Upload Images To A Website" & "Upload Images To E-Mail" and both of those options only displayed a small icon on the Forum "Preview", whereas the "Upload To A Forum" displayed the thumbnail picture. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong and how to upload full size images. In my previous posts, some of you were able to make the pictures larger in your replies......how are you doing that?

I'll go ahead and upload the pictures as best I can and just maybe one of you folks can help me by increasing the size (and please tell me how you did it).

Geeze Louise, this can be frustrating..............LOL

[img][/img]swm629lewhorton1.th.jpg

[img][/img]swm629lewhorton2.th.jpg

[img][/img]swm629lewhorton3.th.jpg

[img][/img]swm629lewhorton4.th.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is stupid and complicated because the Imag Shack site wants you to sign up as a member. If you don't sign up you don't get full size photos.

You have to open up the photo in Image Shack then click on "Embed This Imag" then copy all the data in the "Forum" tab by highlighting it. Transfer this data to your topic. Delete all the data except the data that is between {IMG} {/IMG} brackets. Your photo will be shown full size.

swm629lewhorton1.jpg
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the SN you gave us as it appears on the bottom of the grip frame?

Neal
  • blyeooblyeoo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Is the SN you gave us as it appears on the bottom of the grip frame?

Neal

Hi nmyers:

Yes, it's the same numbers and sequence on the bottom of the grip frame. There's no spaces on the grip frame numbers (BAN0460), but the it's the same as on the frame under the yoke.

Regards.
    edited November -1
    Hello Rufe-Snow:

That was very helpful.......thanks.

I couldn't find the option "Embed This Imag", but in searching around I discovered hat if I created an album, then I could find the "Embed This Imag" option. I think that most of my problem was because I didn't know that I had to "Create An Album".......I was trying to work right off the upload page from the pictures I had just uploaded.

Finally.........!!!!!

Thank You.

Regards.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    This is stupid and complicated because the Imag Shack site wants you to sign up as a member. If you don't sign up you don't get full size photos.

You have to open up the photo in Image Shack then click on "Embed This Imag" then copy all the data in the "Forum" tab by highlighting it. Transfer this data to your topic. Delete all the data except the data that is between {IMG} {/IMG} brackets. Your photo will be shown full size.

swm629lewhorton1.jpg
    edited November -1
    Ok, I'm attempting to upload the pictures again:

swm629lewhorton1.jpg

swm629lewhorton4.jpg

swm629lewhorton3.jpg

swm629lewhorton2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by blyeoo
    Hello Rufe-Snow:

That was very helpful.......thanks.

I couldn't find the option "Embed This Imag", but in searching around I discovered hat if I created an album, then I could find the "Embed This Imag" option. I think that most of my problem was because I didn't know that I had to "Create An Album".......I was trying to work right off the upload page from the pictures I had just uploaded.

Finally.........!!!!!

Thank You.

Regards.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

swm629lewhorton1.jpg
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lew Horton had a knack for special ordering features that a lot folks found appealing, & continue to bring a premium on the secondary market.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas, an invaluable reference book, Product Code 103610 was used for many variations, including some guns ordered by Horton. The wood grips you describe were likely original.

Many Horton orders were for 500 guns; if they reordered, they got 500 more with a different 3 letter prefix. So, your SN is nothing special.

If you figure out the photo posting procedure, I think you could get $800-1K on GB for it.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much NMyers. That's very good info and it sounds like I should get a copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Supica & Nahas). All I have currently is Roy Jinks' book and the Blue Book (Fjestad).

Fjestad's Blue Book does reference some Lew Horton orders, but it doesn't break them down into the various iterations and reiterations. I suspect the one I have is from the very first batch of 500 manufactured for Lew Horton. I wonder if there's any significance if it's a first run batch (other than the obvious fact that it's a 629-1 v/s later engineering revisions) v/s later made?

You've been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Thanks again & Best Regards.

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Lew Horton had a knack for special ordering features that a lot folks found appealing, & continue to bring a premium on the secondary market.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas, an invaluable reference book, Product Code 103610 was used for many variations, including some guns ordered by Horton. The wood grips you describe were likely original.

Many Horton orders were for 500 guns; if they reordered, they got 500 more with a different 3 letter prefix. So, your SN is nothing special.

If you figure out the photo posting procedure, I think you could get $800-1K on GB for it.

Neal
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using a plain background for your photos, that wool blanket you are using distracts from the gun. Also, try not to use a flash, natural lighting works best, especially with stainless or chrome plated guns.
    edited November -1
    Good suggestions........Thank You C1861.

Regards.

quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    Try using a plain background for your photos, that wool blanket you are using distracts from the gun. Also, try not to use a flash, natural lighting works best, especially with stainless or chrome plated guns.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith continued and made this revolver on their own under various names. I have an identical model (its a 629-4 however) called the Backpacker. The only difference I can see other then the version is my grips have a small S&W logo on the left and right sides of the grip instead of the Hogue stamp.

Backpacker.jpg