In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.8 SPC Brass

thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have an idea as to who makes this brass and loads for Barrett.

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this thread interesting but I have never come across this ammo. I've had 6.8's since the rifles and ammo were first introduced. I see in the article that ammo was selling for $.86 a round. Not a very good price for ammo that is supposedly surplus. You can get Remington & Privi- Partisan for considerably less. There are a few other brands that can be had cheaper when on sale. I pretty much stick to the Hornady 120 grain loads but I have others as well including hand loads. The Hornady load I use falls into the $.86 a round but is of much higher quality tan any possible surplus loading could be.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thebambam2001,

The Barrett ammunition is loaded for them by Silver State Armory (SSA) which is owned now by Nosler Ammunition a separate profit center from Nosler Bullets. SSA also makes the brass and was located in Nevada originally.

There is a huge amount of anecdotal and highly opinionated information about both the brass and the ammunition, most from sources who lack the qualification to make statements and lack facts. Like so much information on the internet, there is a lot of opinion and not a lot of fact. So chose your source well.

The date of the thread being used above is from 2013 so the current price for SSA loaded ammunition is $1.05/each cartridge from Cabela's, the only listed supplier from Ammo Seek:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.8mm-remington#

But in the thread the term 'surplus' refers to the brass only and not the fact that the ammunition itself is 'surplus' as in excess from our military or another outstanding contract.

Currently, PPU is listed as the least expensive loaded ammunition at $0.494/each for FMJ 115 grain loads.

Silver State Armory makes decent brass for the general reloading shooter. It is not competition grade brass or loads but it is fine (or has been in my experience) for hunting and plinking and certainly doesn't cost like Lapua either so don't expect the best prepped brass for less expensive manufacturing. The more recent price increases for the SSA brass and ammunition is a direct result of being bought by Nosler which is as unfortunate as Berger's purchase by Lapua. Nothing improves but the prices go way up. Stupid system.

Best.