In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what is this gun?

stirratstirrat Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an old gun. On top of the breech is has "fabrica de armas la cocina" around a crown. Under that it has 1926. My grandfather it is a 7mm w/ a mauser action. He also thinks that it originally had a mannlicher syle stock but someone cut the extra length off of the foreend. So it looks like a regular rifle. I took it apart to clean it and on all of the piecesare stamped with matcing numbers even the stock side of the butt plate had the serial # scratched into it. If anyone can identify it and have any idea of it's value, I would greatly appreciate it. Also to bolt handle sticks straight out and when you start to lift the bolt (as soon as it gets to the top) it kicks open like its on a spring. You can't close it until you push the spring loaded magazine floor down so the bolt clears it.
Thanks,

Comments

• stirratstirrat Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is this thing. just bought it for $20. anyone ever seen one before. any idea how old it is? it is 22lr
    [img][/img]guns060.jpg

[img][/img]guns065.jpg
    edited November -1
    Hello "Experts",

Hope you can help me identify this.
    Have a look at this Gerstenberger & Eberwein pistol.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1049886/dscn4941.jpg
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1049886/dscn4942.jpg

Quite heavy for its size. White (off white) plastic handle casing with EMGE logo and MODELL 6 Logos on either side.

In the top of the barrel approximately in the center there is a hole.
    At the base of the handle there is a small lever / spike thing that folds out to 90 degrees.

I am no gun expert nor even a gun ehthusiast. I would like to know a little more about what this is. (and please don't reply with "It is a type of gun" )

Thanx for you help,

Chris.
    edited November -1
    What is this gun??

x8qm.jpg

xx5op.jpg
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It appears to be a Flobert "Monte Cristo", a type of firearm which was fairly common in Europe from the 1850s to the close of WWI. There are all sorts of different calibers and barrel lengths. These are outside my area of expertise so hopefully one of our members can give you a better ID.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT fire .22 Long Rifle cartridges in this, even if they chamber!
    They were made for indoor plinking with .22 BB Cap rounds, that used primer only for the propellent.

There should be a proof mark or two somewhere, probably either the Belgian ELG or German crown over U.

Value in condition shown is about what you paid.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's what's called a Flobert. Named for the Frenchman who originated/invented the rimfire cartridges and the firearms to fire them in the mid 19th Century. Yours looks much younger, probably dating to the early 20th Century. They were made in many variations and calibers, in both smooth bored and rifled versions. All are single shot, though. Many came back with the G.I.'s as souvenirs at the end of both World Wars. Most are of mediocre quality and have little collectors value here in the states.
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. tried shooting a 22 short out of it with no problem but do not think i will try again.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    It appears to be a Flobert "Monte Cristo", a type of firearm which was fairly common in Europe from the 1850s to the close of WWI. There are all sorts of different calibers and barrel lengths. These are outside my area of expertise so hopefully one of our members can give you a better ID.

Right on the money!!!
    See page 19. illustration #88, in "The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Handguns" by A.B. Zhuk.

6mm flobert CB ammo only !!!! NO .22's !!! {the loose oversized bore probably saved you from a Kaboom}